Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acapulco, ATP 500

1st match up, Dan Evans vs Ben Shelton.

Zverev goes out to Altmaier, and gives a bit of a frosty post match handshake.

Comment

I watched Arthur Fils today for the first time. He plays really well with no real weaknesses that I could in the one set I saw. Plus, he's only 19. He seemed to have a calm, mature temperament also.
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
        I watched Arthur Fils today for the first time. He plays really well with no real weaknesses that I could in the one set I saw. Plus, he's only 19. He seemed to have a calm, mature temperament also.
        Great forehand. Winning personality.

Calm ..... not so much at times. Was screaming at the chair over nothing when he started losing the NexGen final.

Did have one of the best celebrations of late there -- imitating Ronald's celebration when he comes down he opens his hands while shouting "Siuuu"

Comment

Signs of how tough the ATP tour is.

Thompson and Khachanov won titles a couple of days ago, fly to the next event and are out in early rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
            Signs of how tough the ATP tour is.

Thompson and Khachanov won titles a couple of days ago, fly to the next event and are out in early rounds.
            That emphasizes to me the greatness of the 3, they just moved on to the semis and finals of the next tournament.

Comment

Two to check out in Rio tonight:

Rudd vs Shelton

Tsitsipas vs De Minaur

Comment

Another tough loss for Tsitsipas.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                  Another tough loss for Tsitsipas.
                  He's playing hurt and the emotional pressure is eating him up.

I posted in the serve thread but the clues are there that his back isn't getting any better while he continues playing. He's in pain physically and emotionally.
                  Perhaps someone needs to encourage hm to pull the rip cord on the season? Very sad.

Comment

Anyone see this coming? "Ruud outserves Ben Shelton 6-7(7) 6-4 6-4"

Actual headline

ATP: "Eight sets played, zero breaks conceded for Casper Ruud this week at the Abierto Mexicano Telcel presentado por HSBC. The Norwegian continued his dominant serving week on Thursday night against one of the biggest servers in the game, beating Ben Shelton 6-7(7), 6-4, 6-4 in a two-and-a-half hour quarter-final of the highest quality.​"

Problem, of course, is Shelton's return of serve is down at the level of John Isner (not hyperbole, Jack Sackman at Heavy Topspin has the numbers).

And, on a scale of 1 to 10 that's a negatory.

Also: "Shelton won 29 of his 44 net points (66%), according to Infosys ATP Stats, while Ruud was more efficient on fewer approaches, winning 16 of 23 (70%)."

Comment

For skeptics of Patrick Mourtaglou aka the Rasputin of pro tennis, I'll just post this and duck. Don't blame the messenger !

Since Rune fired Boris Becker and Severin Luthi, replacing them by returning to Moutaglou, he's turned his game around. No. Really !

ATP: "Rune advanced to the semi-finals by dominating both tie-breaks in a 7-6(2), 7-6(0) win against Germany's Dominik Koepfer. Six breaks of serve were split between the pair, but Rune raised his level to extend his perfect set record this week in Acapulco (6-0).​

Comment

Exceptionally interesting match between Ruud and Rune last night.

So, Ruud beat big serving Ben Shelton, all around offensive player Rune, now on to de Minaur in the final, I believe.

Lots of tactical maneuvering on full display. Rune was mixing things up to keep Ruud off balance, hitting some great returns, lots of excellent drop shots. Serving up to 134 mph and just clubbing some of Ruud's high-bouncing forehands, flattening them out to the corner.

Meanwhile, Ruud has really adapted his early clay court game to hard courts, coming to the net, aggressive returning. Down in the second set, Ruud attacked second serves, getting right up on the service line and hitting backhand returns on the deuce side to Rune's backhand corner, while charging the net. And some great volleys. Didn't know he had it in him <g>.

Each player broke once to alternate winning the first two sets, then all merde broke lose in the third set with -- five (5) breaks in the third set ! Dare I say it, WTA-like. (Ducking!). Rune might have been cramping in the third. He's had surprising fitness problems all along, despite quads like a bike racer.

Did Rune tighten up? Started overhitting first serves and got only 44% in over the third set 17/39

Old strife between the two seems over. Didn't see the very end, but lots of applause by each player for the other on (very deserving) great shots. Faux-pologies for mishits. And smiles.

Mourtaglou in the stands. The dark prince presiding.
                        Last edited by jimlosaltos; 03-02-2024, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Ruud really is a great match player, a very tough out.

Rune needs some bigger shorts.

Comment

Is Alex de Minaur the best player per pound in men's tennis?

Wins his 8th title last night in Acapulco, taking out Casper Rune, who has been playing well.

So far this year alone, Demon is 15-4 and has beaten:

* Novak Djokovic world numero uno
                            * Sasha Zverev # 7
                            * Taylor Fritz #10
                            * Andrey Rublev #5
                            * Stef Tsitsipas # 12 (albeit injured)
                            * Ben Shelton # 17
                            * Grigor Dimitrov Articles
                            * Casper Ruud #11

With all respect to the ATP, their write up talks about his defense, but Alex is no nurf-and-turf player. Defends the baseline, takes ball on the risk, hits hard flat inside out forehands, comes to the net on a dare. Same tactics in a 6 ft 4 in player would be called aggressive offense.

Comment

Demon to me is reminiscent of David Ferrer, who also got every ounce out of his potential. You are right though, he is not a retriever/wall a la Medvedev. Demon does a great job of applying pressure by taking the ball early, holding the line so to speak.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2938 users online. 5 members and 2933 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X