Tsitsipas Changed Serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tsitsipas Changed Serve

Unless my eyes deceive me, Stef Tsitsipas has joined Jannik Sinner is switching from platform to pinpoint service.

Doing some research it started in Australia, with Stef actually switching back and forth mid match during the first round at the AO. Stef, who was defending finalist points, lost that match and with it a whole bunch of points, falling out of the top 10. Very odd time and way to introduce a new motion.

Speculation had it that had to do with protecting his ailing back. But he's now doing it full time.

At last night's win in Acapulco, his serve was effective but he only got 51% of first serves in, which is quite low for Stef.

Here's a screen grab via Gill Gross.

filedata/fetch?id=103520&d=1709229374&type=thumb

Gross from Jan 5
    https://youtu.be/dmzJb9k8fd4
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

And, checking, here Stef is from last night

filedata/fetch?id=103522&d=1709229819&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Good call, no doubt he has gone to a narrow stance.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
        Good call, no doubt he has gone to a narrow stance.
        Watched Stef lose for the first time to de Minaur last night after ten (10) straight wins.
        Coming in, Stef had won 8 straight sets vs de Minaur.

He switched back and forth. Was in pinpoint most of the match, then switched when he tried to serve bigger.
        Whether that was a conscious decision or simply muscle memory taking over is anyone's guess.

My observation: Stef had significant problems hitting a kick second serve, which tells me it could be continuing back problems.

Stef won the first set 6-1 -- while winning only 50% of his own first serves (6/12). Demon is a good returner but he's not that good.

The back has bothered him since some time in the fall last year and forced him to retire in the Tour Finals. I haven't seen any indication what the injury is.

You can see on his face what emotional anguish he's experiencing.
        Last edited by jimlosaltos; 03-01-2024, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 4002 users online. 8 members and 3994 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X