No announcement yet.

BNP Paribas Open aka Indian Wells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a second rain delay last night, the BNP schedule is getting crowded.

Some matches today of note:

* Andy Murray Vs Andrey Rublev
    * Iga vs Dan-Yell (on her retirement tour)
    * Ben Shelton and that serve vs 18 yo Jakob Mensik and that forehand.
    * 19 yo "Jerry" Shang, fresh from taking out Acapulco winner Thompson vs Alexander Bublik
    * Angie Kerber vs Jelena Ostapenko.

In particular, the battle of two 6 ft 4 in bangers, Shelton-Mensik could give us a good barometer of how these two might match up for years. Shelton has a lot more tour experience (even at 21)

YTD records Ben 8-5 vs Jakub 7-3 (including several wins over high ranked players like Rublev).

Comment

Sinner looks Federereske beating Kokkanakis in 2 sets, an hour and 20 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
        Sinner looks Federereske beating Kokkanakis in 2 sets, an hour and 20 minutes.
        I logged in to post those very words!

Sinner won almost the same percentage behind his second serve as his first: 75.9% firsts, 72.2% on own second.

Wait. IF these stats are correct Sinner won an identical 13/18 returning TK4's second serve and playing his own second serve also 13/18.

Weird. Had to happen some time.

Comment

36 year old, returning mother Angie Kerber comes from behind to beat Ostapenko in 3.

And -- wait for it -- the mothers remain undefeated so far, all 7 of them. <g>

Comment

Milos Raonic through the other day, now meets Holger Rune, a very good returner.

Just on the oddity side. Nardi came in as a lucky loser and, wait for it, gets a bye so the LL is into the second round with swinging a racket <g>

Good money in losing.

Comment

Interesting switch to pinpoint by Stef. I wonder what triggered that? I am watching him play Pouille at the moment and can't see any discernible advantage in the switch so far.
              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                Interesting switch to pinpoint by Stef. I wonder what triggered that? I am watching him play Pouille at the moment and can't see any discernible advantage in the switch so far.
                My non quantitative take on this switch is Stef is more efficiently using both legs now with his serve motion.

Comment

Jakob Mensik up an early break vs Ben Shelton in a shoot out of 6 ft 4 in young guns.

IMHO Ben still doesn't win the points on serve one would expect given all he's got going - velocity, lefty spin, variety.

And here look at the crowd for a second round match with Andy Murray vs Andrey Rublev !

Update: Sir Andy out to Rublev. Possibly his last trip to Indian Wells?

filedata/fetch?id=103623&d=1709944009&type=thumb
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                  Last edited by jimlosaltos; 03-08-2024, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                    At the risk of being redundant, I'd say his back.

In both his first round loss at the Aussie and his loss (Thompson, was it?) in Los Cabos, he switched back and forth during games from pinpoint to -- occasionally - platform.

Back then, he appeared to my eye to being having trouble hitting a routine kick serve that he can normally do with his eyes closed.

Comment

Have to mention that the subject of this month's TPN Tour Portrait - Diana Shnaider - is through the first round 5-7 7-6(3) 6-3 over Ana Bogdan.

Portrait at this link.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                        Jakob Mensik up an early break vs Ben Shelton in a shoot out of 6 ft 4 in young guns.

IMHO Ben still doesn't win the points on serve one would expect given all he's got going - velocity, lefty spin, variety.

And here look at the crowd for a second round match with Andy Murray vs Andrey Rublev !

Update: Sir Andy out to Rublev. Possibly his last trip to Indian Wells?

filedata/fetch?id=103623&d=1709944009&type=thumb
                        Great atmosphere in a packed Stadium 2 match, Sheldon and Mensik in the third set. Tennis seems to be doing fine on ATP.

Comment

Ben wins 6-4 in 3rd. To me, he has the best lefty serve since Goran and Wayne Arthurs.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                            Ben wins 6-4 in 3rd. To me, he has the best lefty serve since Goran and Wayne Arthurs.
                            Quite lofty company! Great play in coming back. Plus, gosh darn, he's fun to watch. Enthusiasm, energy but in a positive joyful way, not the snarky stuff.

Hope Ben is still around for the quarters when I get there.

To resurrect this recent ATP/TDI graphic, I still think Ben's serve can get significantly more productive if he can get nearer the lines. Has most everything else - movement, velocity, lefty-ness, hits every corner. But he's wayyyy over to the left.

filedata/fetch?id=103630&d=1708460600&type=thumb

Comment

Rune gets a walkover vs Raonic. Guy just can't stay healthy. Shame.

Gauff wins a dogfight with Burel in a third set tiebreaker.

Amusingly, lucky loser Luca Nardi entered straight into the second round, since he stepped in for a seed, Tomas Etcheverry, and got his bye in the first round. That means if Nardi lost in the qualifiers but would still get at least $72,500 plus whatever he got in qualifiers just for stepping on court even if he doesn't win a single point. Heck, I could do that. Maybe. Instead, Nardi is into the third vs Zhang.

Arthur Fils takes out Fokina in straight sets. Great start for that French teen.

Ruh-Roh Jessica Pegula down a set and a break to Blinkova in the 2nd round.

Close one by our Tour Portrait woman for March, Shanider, split sets with number 9 seed Sakkari, both with identical 72 points at this moment. That would be a great upset for the teenager college player.

Another upset: In a battle of 21 year olds, the less-heralded Diane Parry takes out number 29 seed Leylah Fernandez in 3.

Comment

Gael Monfils upsets Hurckaz turning Djokovic's quarter from a cupcake to a full-fledged cake with candles!
                                Djokovic plays a lucky loser in the third round and can't meet anybody in the top 8 before the semi.

Seyboth Wild upsets Khachanov getting the qualifier into the third round.

Meanwhile, on the WTA side:

Sabalenka narrowly avoided an upset by Peyton Stearns, who recently left college and has only 1 win on tour this year, with Aryna needing a 3rd set tiebreak. Next up for the 2-time Aussie champ, Emma Raducanu (WC).

Meanwhile, Aussie finalist Qinwen Zheng was upset by Yue Yuan in straight sets.

Today's OoP

filedata/fetch?id=103633&d=1710090585&type=thumb

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7896 users online. 6 members and 7890 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X