2017 Indian Wells round of 16 Fed vs Rafa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Indian Wells round of 16 Fed vs Rafa

To me, this is the poster child of Fed greatness. At his absolute best, he destroyed Nadal. No one else could ever that.

Originally posted by stroke View Post
    To me, this is the poster child of Fed greatness. At his absolute best, he destroyed Nadal. No one else could ever that.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FVQ5mAVX7UBhJwjL6
    I recall. It was one way traffic.

Took Fed a year, I believe, to fully adjust to the larger RF97 and then he was able to step in and take balls on the rise with his backhand DTL or cross court at will.

Awesome.

Comment

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FVQ5mAVX7UBhJwjL6
      Here are highlights of IW and Miami that year via TennisTV on YT

Comment

How confident was Fed in his backhand on that Indian Wells-Miami cycle?

You have to watch this closely or you might miss it.
        Fed hits a backhand swinging volley - from the baseline vs RBA at 13:45 min in the vid. Queued to start on RBA's serve for that point. Hits a return and an inside-in forehand, then just casually steps inside the baseline and hits a swing-volley approach from barely inside the baseline.

I saw part of this purple patch in Indian Wells and was amazed at how, sitting right behind Fed on one baseline, i could see him, waiting for his opponent's to swing, taking rapid stutter steps, getting ready to pounce inside the baseline and charge forward. Jittery, almost nervous steps ready to lunge. Stopping. Another one. Another. Least sign and he'd go.

If the vid doesn't start with RBA getting up, then serving, forward to 13:45.

Here's impact:

filedata/fetch?id=103595&d=1709753475&type=thumb
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        Last edited by jimlosaltos; 03-06-2024, 11:40 AM.

Comment

That was something, a swinging one handed backhand volley from just inside the court. It is mesmerizing watching him take balls so early off both sides. I don't ever remember seeing anyone else take on the ball half volley topspin one handed backhand over and over again.

Comment

That was something, a swinging one handed backhand volley from just inside the court. It is mesmerizing watching him take balls so early off both sides. I don't ever remember seeing anyone else take on the ball half volley topspin one handed backhand over and over again.
            And, Fed was 35 years old then.

Slower than Peak Fed of 2004-2008

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

And, Fed was 35 years old then.

Slower than Peak Fed of 2004-2008
              He was not peak physically, but with his larger racquet and experience, I think he was maybe at his very best.

Comment

He was not peak physically, but with his larger racquet and experience, I think he was maybe at his very best.
                It's fun to imagine. Perhaps with AI someone will generate a simulation where we can see Peak Fed play Wise Fed. The whirling dervish of Serve +! vs varsity and a bigger backhand. Think I'd pick the kid.

Comment

O
                  Unbelievable! His switch to the bigger racket gave him just enough sweetspot to time that shot. My timing would require a sweetspot in the Weed II to hit that shot(remember that racket? -- - was it 110 or 120 square inches?).

Comment

A Double L does it

filedata/fetch?id=103657&d=1710214951&type=thumb
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Key breaker

Comment

Novak has now spent exactly 8 years at number one...outrageous.
                        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                          Novak has now spent exactly 8 years at number one...outrageous.
                          It is absolutely outrageous.

Comment

Sorry I posted this in the wrong thread, trying to select the thread on my mobile where the TPN forum type is microscopic.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2845 users online. 4 members and 2841 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X