No announcement yet.

Miami Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riddle me this: We all agree, I believe, that Ben Shelton has a world class serve. Yet, as he lost yesterday to the lower ranked Musetti, Ben yet again was mired in the mid-60s in percentage of points won behind that awesome serve.

Musetti won a higher percent of second serve points than Ben did on first serves -- 70% for the Italian vs Ben's 67%. {Keep in mind that Ben's return stats continue mired at John Isner level.}

Why does Ben repeatedly win such a relatively low percentage of his first serve points? I've noted before the ATP Tennis Insights stats show his serve is far further from the lines than the ATP average, and way further than those of the top servers. That stat may be skewed by his use of heavy, kick serves where landing short is deliberate to yield a higher bounce. Another theory is too many UFEs when the ball comes back.

filedata/fetch?id=103750&d=1711471502&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 03-26-2024, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Here are the APT Tennis Insight stats for "best" of each shots for yesterday (Monday) in Miami.

F?bi?n Marozs?njust keeps popping up.

filedata/fetch?id=103752&d=1711480486&type=thumb

Comment

\Posting about Shelton's served reminded me to dig this out.

I did not see this match but its on a strange continuum since Stef Tsitsipas started fiddling with a perhaps conversion to a pinpoint stance.

Tsitispas hit 134 serves (total including faults) in only 9 games, over twice as many as his opponent Shapo, and nearly 15 serves per game and 2 break points faced per game.

What's going on with once a top 5-8 serve on ATP? Remember, Shapo as great as his offensive is, isn't a good returner.

filedata/fetch?id=103754&d=1711480725&type=thumb

This is at one point in the second set.

x
        Last edited by jimlosaltos; 03-26-2024, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Part 2/ Tsitsipas

This is at one point in the second set.

x​ filedata/fetch?id=103756&d=1711481168&type=thumb

Comment

Miami is not going well lately. Power went out. Chair says "guess I'll call the lines."
            Players don't have any towels. They were all used to wipe lines after rain.

Update: Event web site is 505-ing.
            Last edited by jimlosaltos; 03-26-2024, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
              Miami is not going well lately. Power went out. Chair says "guess I'll call the lines."
              Players don't have any towels. They were all used to wipe lines after rain.
              It never looks any where as good as venue as Indian Wells. It would be better if Miami were before Indian Wells as then it wouldn't feel so anti-climatic...not such a poor relation. I could be wrong but from TV that's what it looks like.
              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

It never looks any where as good as venue as Indian Wells. It would be better if Miami were before Indian Wells as then it wouldn't feel so anti-climatic...not such a poor relation. I could be wrong but from TV that's what it looks like.
                I don't think that tournament will ever regain the magic of Key Biscayne. It is still a Masters 1000, and I don't think Miami is going to let it go.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                  Here are the APT Tennis Insight stats for "best" of each shots for yesterday (Monday) in Miami.

F?bi?n Marozs?njust keeps popping up.

filedata/fetch?id=103752&d=1711480486&type=thumb

Those forehand numbers are something.

Comment

I did hear about some of the complaints James Blake has been receiving but that doesn't affect the specator experience. I never made it to Key Biscayne but for the last 3 or 4 years I've gone to Miami for the Open and I find it to be a blast. It is amazing how they've transformed a football stadium into a major tennis complex. My experience has been a beautiful complex, very organized, easy parking, huge crowds, great weather and incredible tennis. I drive down the east coast from Washington DC. I'm a big fan and will continue to attend.
                    Last edited by seano; 03-27-2024, 04:52 AM.

Comment

ATP Tennis Insight rankings of Miami quarterfinalists based on stats for that event.

There's a second image I'll have to post in a separate rely.

filedata/fetch?id=103768&d=1711557776&type=thumb
                      Last edited by jimlosaltos; 03-27-2024, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Zverev very impressive in routineing Khachanov.

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
                          I did hear about some of the complaints James Blake has been receiving but that doesn't affect the specator experience. I never made it to Key Biscayne but for the last 3 or 4 years I've gone to Miami for the Open and I find it to be a blast. It is amazing how they've transformed a football stadium into a major tennis complex. My experience has been a beautiful complex, very organized, easy parking, huge crowds, great weather and incredible tennis. I drive down the east coast from Washington DC. I'm a big fan and will continue to attend.
                          I went to Key Biscayne a lot, from back in the 90's when it was The Lipton. I have been to Miami one time, not nearly the charm to me.

Comment

And the second way of rating all the quarterfinalists

filedata/fetch?id=103770&d=1711557853&type=thumb

Comment

I have watched all of Alcaraz's matches thus far and it's amazing how easily he is gobbling players up. He plays so freely and wins with room to spare. He played Musetti yesterday and at one point went 30-40 down on his serve. He then hit an inside-in forehand at about 99mph for a screaming winner to bring it back to deuce. Nothing you can do about that when your opponent shows no caution on big points. If anything he ratchets things up! Exciting player. Best player to watch since Roger, no question.
                              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                                I have watched all of Alcaraz's matches thus far and it's amazing how easily he is gobbling players up. He plays so freely and wins with room to spare. He played Musetti yesterday and at one point went 30-40 down on his serve. He then hit an inside-in forehand at about 99mph for a screaming winner to bring it back to deuce. Nothing you can do about that when your opponent shows no caution on big points. If anything he ratchets things up! Exciting player. Best player to watch since Roger, no question.
                                He is something, but personally, I think an in form Sinner is maybe the best. To me, no one plays "video game/ping pong" tennis like Sinner at his best, certainly reminds me of Roger at his best.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7755 users online. 9 members and 7746 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X