Winning Pretty Part 1: Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winning Pretty Part 1: Introduction

Let's get your thoughts on Chris Lewit's first article in his new series, "Winning Pretty"

Hi all. I will be checking in periodically to answer any book questions and talk technique. Thanks!
    Chris

Comment

Chris,

Super article that shows real knowledge of coaching methods. I am the proud owner of The Tennis Technique Bible and have used it as a resource many times.

For me, learning to build good tennis strokes is the most important thing we do as coaches and there are some great resources out there for coaches to build and continually increase their knowledge. But what I have found most frustrating over the years is a serious lack of 'how to apply' that knowledge. It is one thing 'knowing and accruing knowledge' but getting on court and 'building' is a whole different story.

I have a talented 11-year-old girl I am coaching at the moment and I am desperately trying to avoid the catastrophe of her not developing a decent serve. It's the usual story of the leg drive and the body being out of synch. I have been using the BG probation method for quite a while but it still isn't synching yet. I continue to try every conceivable method I can think of and won't give up until I find a way to do it. I have gone online to see what other coaches in such a situation but there is nothing out there. There's plenty of stuff saying what a serve should look like but zero on how to make corrections or get round problems. Everyone wants to show their model student, no one wants to show the faulty student. Where are the practical workshops, the works in progress, and the 'show and tell' of how talented coaches get round really tricky problems?

Your Strokes here on Tennisplayer is a good example of how things might be and it would be great to see more of that kind of thing going on.

I for one think tennis strokes are highly complex and simplicity is hard to teach...but definitely a goal. Some coaches understand the biomechanics of strokes way better than others and that in itself is a key separator between the really good coaches and the not so good coaches. It's a tragedy when you see coaches coaching purely from their own experience and without any scientific knowledge. The student is doomed.

One of the things that stands out over here (in the UK) is how coaching at tennis clubs lags miles behind that of the performance centres. Performance centres are cutting edge while tennis clubs (not all) are 10 or even 15 years behind.

Once again, a great opening article and I hope there is good response to it. Coaches are very lucky to be able to tap into someone such as yourself and should make the most of it.
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
        Chris,

Super article that shows real knowledge of coaching methods. I am the proud owner of The Tennis Technique Bible and have used it as a resource many times.

For me, learning to build good tennis strokes is the most important thing we do as coaches and there are some great resources out there for coaches to build and continually increase their knowledge. But what I have found most frustrating over the years is a serious lack of 'how to apply' that knowledge. It is one thing 'knowing and accruing knowledge' but getting on court and 'building' is a whole different story.

I have a talented 11-year-old girl I am coaching at the moment and I am desperately trying to avoid the catastrophe of her not developing a decent serve. It's the usual story of the leg drive and the body being out of synch. I have been using the BG probation method for quite a while but it still isn't synching yet. I continue to try every conceivable method I can think of and won't give up until I find a way to do it. I have gone online to see what other coaches in such a situation but there is nothing out there. There's plenty of stuff saying what a serve should look like but zero on how to make corrections or get round problems. Everyone wants to show their model student, no one wants to show the faulty student. Where are the practical workshops, the works in progress, and the 'show and tell' of how talented coaches get round really tricky problems?

Your Strokes here on Tennisplayer is a good example of how things might be and it would be great to see more of that kind of thing going on.

I for one think tennis strokes are highly complex and simplicity is hard to teach...but definitely a goal. Some coaches understand the biomechanics of strokes way better than others and that in itself is a key separator between the really good coaches and the not so good coaches. It's a tragedy when you see coaches coaching purely from their own experience and without any scientific knowledge. The student is doomed.

One of the things that stands out over here (in the UK) is how coaching at tennis clubs lags miles behind that of the performance centres. Performance centres are cutting edge while tennis clubs (not all) are 10 or even 15 years behind.

Once again, a great opening article and I hope there is good response to it. Coaches are very lucky to be able to tap into someone such as yourself and should make the most of it.
        Thank you amigo. If you want to send me video of your player’s serve technique it would be the easiest way for me to advise. Please send to my WhatsApp or cell 914-462-2912

Comment

Chris,

My hope is to convey some of the practical knowledge you are looking for in this book. Not just describe technique but to share drills and tricks for solving challenging situations. I think you make a good point about that. That’s hard to convey in just a book. The best way to learn those tricks is a mentorship with an expert technician. That’s how I learned myself.

At 11 years old, in my experience, the racquet drop and leg drive will not always completely sync. Don’t panic. Be patient and many times as the player becomes more explosive they can drop the racquet later and catch up with enough acceleration to get the sync. I think sometimes young kids drop earlier than we would like because they may not be explosive enough for the racquet to catch up in time. It’s a work in progress. Kudos to you for trying to get the timing right.

Comment

Chris,

When we get to the serve technique chapters in this book—chapters 7-10, I think you will find some useful drills to correct challenging situations. Sincerely
            Chris

Comment

Just purchased your book. Looking forward to reading it. Have always respected your work.

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
                Just purchased your book. Looking forward to reading it. Have always respected your work.
                Thank you amigo. Which one did you get?

Comment

Let me know any questions too

Comment

I purchased the Tennis Technique Bible. Already have the Spanish tennis book.

Comment

I purchased the Tennis Technique Bible. Already have the Spanish tennis book.
                      Thanks for that. There is good information in there but a little outdated now. This new book is the update!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7947 users online. 3 members and 7944 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X