Geneva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geneva

I hope I'm not stepping on toes but I thought I'd start this small event since Novak is entered. His WC puts him opposite Ruud. Makes this a tad more interesting.

This is perhaps the third time (from memory not guaranteed) that Novak has entered a small tune up before a major and, as I recall, he did well at both WImbledon/Eastborne and ... Belgrade/ French ?

So far, Michelson won his first which puts him up vs "Claylor" Fritz next.

Ben Shelton out in one round, to Coboli

Seeded 6 Draper out to Machac

Ouch! Goffin out to qualifier Nicolas Moreno De Alboran. Not much confidence building so far for vets.

Draw link:
    Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

This is a very interesting 250, just before RG.

Comment

via Randy Walker: "Alex Michelsen, who could've been playing the NCAA tennis championships as a freshman at the University of Georgia this week, just beat U.S. No. 1 Taylor Fritz in the second round of the ATP event in Geneva. Fritz snapped his racquet in half over his knee after losing match point

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
        via Randy Walker: "Alex Michelsen, who could've been playing the NCAA tennis championships as a freshman at the University of Georgia this week, just beat U.S. No. 1 Taylor Fritz in the second round of the ATP event in Geneva. Fritz snapped his racquet in half over his knee after losing match point
        It was a high quality match. Both played very well and had very good winners to errors stats. Certainly a big upset by Michelsen, the biggest win of his career thus far.

Comment

Geneva might be more than practice for Djokovic. Turns out, if Djokovic makes the finals, Sinner would then have to win Roland Garros to pass him in the rankings.

PIF ATP Live Rankings
          Player Live Pts Max Pts 27 May Pts Defending At RG
          Novak Djokovic 9,910 10,110 2,000
          Jannik Sinner 8,770 8,770 45

Comment

Novak bringing the drama losing 1st set 6-4 vs a very tough Machac.

Comment

Novak goes down, at his not in the mood best, to Machac, with his Holger Rune like too tight shorts.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                Novak goes down, at his not in the mood best, to Machac, with his Holger Rune like too tight shorts.
                Must have been the shorts

Tangentially, just heard the translation of what Djokovic said at the net after losing to the Lucky Loser in Indian Wells.

It’s not right,” Djokovic said, in Italian, “but bravo.”
                -- His barbed "congratulations" to Luca Nardi, the world 123 player that beat him in Indian Wells.​

I guess that was about the shot where Novak tried to insist play was stopped because Nardi was late reacting to his drop shot - and put it away while Novak stood around. Andy Roddick had a lengthy ridicule on his pod cast.

Comment

Novak needs to get his act together otherwise his career is going to spiral pretty quick. Of course, he might just be rope-a-doping and getting ready to burst into action and take the FO crown. I wouldn't put it past him. Strange bloke.
                  Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                    Novak needs to get his act together otherwise his career is going to spiral pretty quick. Of course, he might just be rope-a-doping and getting ready to burst into action and take the FO crown. I wouldn't put it past him. Strange bloke.
                    Truer words.......

Comment

With Novak out, then a rain delay pushing yesterday's match over, Ruud eventually became 3X champ in Geneva.

ATP: "The Norwegian, who won Geneva in 2021 and 2022, pulled double duty to triumph in Switzerland after Friday rain postponed his semi-final match to Saturday. Ruud, seeded second, saved a match point to down Flavio Cobolli 1-6, 6-1, 7-6(4) in the last four before returning to court and ousting Tomas Machac 7-5, 6-3 in the final.

"Ruud tallied three consecutive games from 4-5 in the opening set of the final after Machac committed a double fault while holding a set point on serve at 5-4. “He definitely deserved to win the first set, but that’s tennis sometimes. It’s not always fair,” Ruud said.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7657 users online. 8 members and 7649 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X