Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forehand Volley Article comment

John,
    I loved the article. The "secret u" is a great observation. It also takes care of the old axiom that the racket has to be above the wrist. I've always taught it has to be above the extended line of the forearm and the "u" allows for this condition even when the contact point is literally below the wrist.

You need one other element to your basic volley. The racket head has to move inside out relative to the intended line of the shot. I look forward to see if you've got that in the subsequent articles.

I also wonder if you'll use the lack of a followthrough and the comparison of transfer of momentum from the cue ball to another ball when it stops!

all the best,
    don

Excellent. Looks like this article hit a few notes with some of teaching cognoscenti around the planet. That U is a flexible shape and I see if I can make more sense of the variations in the future.

Comment

45-degree volley shoulder turn

Among the keen observations in John's volley article is his recognition and emphasis of the importance of having the upper body at about a 45-degree angle to the net. It used to be (as I recall) that the only ones who did this almost every time were Edberg and Sampras -- especially Sampras. It makes it easier to hit either way. Judging by the video stills, other pros have picked up on it. Is it commonplace now? Is it a new unit-turn? Is it being taught at clubs? I plan to watch for it during the Aussie Open.

Comment

Great Article

John,
        The best article before yours on the fh volley was from Scott Murphy included in Classic Lessons on this site. His explanation of driving the heel of the hand and butt of the racquet towards the ball really worked for me. It seemed to keep my wrist laid back which helped to make better contact. But I still would have "off" days.
        Your explantion of keeping the "U" hitting shape from preparation to follow thru made me realize these "off" days were caused by extending my arm from the elbow in attempting to take the ball earlier. Now if I keep the 'U" shape, no matter the height of the ball, my fh volley stays solid.

Thanks,
        Bob D.

Comment

Love it!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2347 users online. 4 members and 2343 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X