Teaching Grips for Two Hand BH's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching Grips for Two Hand BH's

I recently started to teach a boy about twelve who has been taking lessons for a few years. He seems to have terrific potential. In checking his grip on his two handed backhand I noticed that his bottom hand was a semiwestern grip. He seems to play "bent-bent". I started to do some one-handed, top hand drills with him and extension drills. I am wondering if I should change his bottom hand to an eastern or continental grip. I am concerned about grip changes and slice and volley development. I would think that this is a common concern with many instructors now teaching the semiwestern forehand. Looking for more experienced advice.

Ralph

Definitely he needs to change! For the reasons you have mentioned but also even in the bent bent you want more front arm than you can get with that grip. They call it a two-handed backhand for a reason. If you want to convince just ask him to hit a few one-handers with that semi-western grip.

Comment

I agree with John as usual and would like to add a technique for employing the new grip. I teach this grip adjustment as part of the take back;
      to use the top hand to turn the stick from simi to continental as the shoulders turn and take the arms back. Do others do or use this?

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2556 users online. 11 members and 2545 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X