Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Djokovic serve

Hey everyone,

Just finished watching Djokovic beat Federer! Can't believe how well Djokovic served.

His grip looks very weird to me...looks almost like a one handed backhand grip. Not sure if that was an optical illusion on the TV but it looks definitely far off from a continental grip. Seems like his tendency is to serve out wide in the deuce court and down the tee in the ad court which would make sense with that kind of a grip.

any thoughts ?

Florian

Not coincidentally, we'll put his serve up in the Interactive Forum in Feb.

Comment

slice

Originally posted by uspta1882566509 View Post
      Hey everyone,

Just finished watching Djokovic beat Federer! Can't believe how well Djokovic served.

His grip looks very weird to me...looks almost like a one handed backhand grip. Not sure if that was an optical illusion on the TV but it looks definitely far off from a continental grip. Seems like his tendency is to serve out wide in the deuce court and down the tee in the ad court which would make sense with that kind of a grip.

any thoughts ?

Florian
      The Plexicushion puts a premium on slice.One handed backhand grip is NOT weird-it is one of Thrre possible grips used for serve,the second in popularity

Comment

Florian, don't mind him, that grip is weird, I don't care how many folks do it, haha
        It depends on how extreme, I guess, but how do you get a powerful pronation with that grip or is it mostly used for Kicks and seconds serves. That's when I use a mild version of it, for the kick.
        Also, what is the 3rd possible serve grip?
        thanks Julian

Comment

Mr Boom Boom

Originally posted by airforce1 View Post
          Florian, don't mind him, that grip is weird, I don't care how many folks do it, haha
          It depends on how extreme, I guess, but how do you get a powerful pronation with that grip or is it mostly used for Kicks and seconds serves. That's when I use a mild version of it, for the kick.
          thanks Julian
          You are very knowledgeable person so please study Mr.Boom Boom ( Boris Becker)-an answer in a manual by ITF.

Comment

Eastern backhand grip and Djokovic

thanks Julian
            Some decent layers from Eastern/Central Europe can generate a lot of speed
            even with an eastern backhand grip-please see data of speed of serve by Djokovic.Additionally there are some shades/possibilities between continental and eastern beackhand grips.As I have said Plexicushion makes slice a good
            choice.Some double players,to remain unnamed,slice a lot in Australia as well.

Comment

sorry

I think the flavor of my response was lost in this medium. I was just being sympathetic to the previous poster on how odd that backhand grip seems when one is not used to it and lighten things up a bit. (and yes, I though you were a little harsh on him, sorry)

Also, While I'm aware that many can produce great speed with that grip, I still no less amazed by it! I guess that translates to;
              I sure have not been able to do it. hahaha

I once had a doubles partner who had the best kick I've seen anywhere. Real nice velocity (100mph range) and it would jump to where you could barely reach it at full extension over your head. In fact I witness several who could not reach up to it, haaha. Well, anyway, I never learned to get close to that even with him showing me and sharing with me how he did it. He used an eastern backhand grip as well. Maybe I should catch up with him and re visit this shot?

Comment

Boris Becker and EASTERN FOREHAND GRIP

thanks Julian
                Boris Becker used to use an Eastern forehand grip

Comment

eastern backhand and continental

I think the flavor of my response was lost in this medium. I was just being sympathetic to the previous poster on how odd that backhand grip seems when one is not used to it and lighten things up a bit. (and yes, I though you were a little harsh on him, sorry)

Also, While I'm aware that many can produce great speed with that grip, I still no less amazed by it! I guess that translates to;

I once had a doubles partner who had the best kick I've seen anywhere. Real nice velocity (100mph range) and it would jump to where you could barely reach it at full extension over your head. In fact I witness several who could not reach up to it, haaha. Well, anyway, I never learned to get close to that even with him showing me and sharing with me how he did it. He used an eastern backhand grip as well. Maybe I should catch up with him and re visit this shot?
                  I coach students both serve grips ( continental and eastern backhand).
                  I offer them to choose one of these grips because
                  I am a very liberal person.
                  I am known NOT to have a sense of humour.
                  When I was in Marines I was told "never say sorry"

Comment

Thanks

thanks Julian, I didn't realize anyone of note used that.
                    It makes me feel better about cheating over there alittle at times.
                    I took your advice and looked bk a Boom Boom. Did you notice how low his racket drop was and his delayed forearm extension?

Oh, and thanks for your insight about the slice and the plexi-cushion too. How do u like the plexi?
                    Last edited by airforce1; 01-31-2008, 09:40 AM. Reason: add

Comment

Ole Nick B was a marine too, right?

I was Navy, so they just told us to be careful with the soap.

Comment

nine o'clock toss and EASTERN BACKHAND GRIP

A more interesting question is:
                        Is it possible to use a 9 o'clock toss and an eastern backhand grip?
                        Generally ( at least in the North East) an eastern backhand grip is coached to
                        be combined with a 1 o'clock toss.
                        If the question above is NOT clear I will do clarify later
                        Last edited by julian; 01-31-2008, 09:58 AM. Reason: not clear

Comment

Maybe to some extent if you use the left launch that John Yandell writes on in tour strokes on Pete.

That is by the way, how my old doubs partner did it on his big Kick.

Comment

Plexicushion

thanks Julian, I didn't realize anyone of note used that.
                            It makes me feel better about cheating over there alittle at times.
                            I took your advice and looked bk a Boom Boom. Did you notice how low his racket drop was and his delayed forearm extension?

Oh, and thanks for your insight about the slice and the plexi-cushion too. How do u like the plexi?
                            We do NOT have plexicushion courts in Boston.
                            I do NOT know whether the site of USA Open is plexi-cushion
                            ( I practiced at the P(ractice) courts overthere)
                            Last edited by julian; 01-31-2008, 09:00 PM. Reason: typing error

Comment

Pretty sure the US Open courts are not Plexi. I've gotten to hit there a few times over the last few years. Sort of nice playing out there where you know the US Open takes place each year.

I just meant to inquire about what you knew about the Plexi surface, since you seem to be more familiar than most with the characteristics of that surface. It seemed to give a great Aussie Open this year and I didn't hear of injuries blamed on it like the last surface they used.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 1885 users online. 5 members and 1880 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X