Nalbandian backhand grip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nalbandian backhand grip?

i was wondering about what grip he uses with his bottom hand. i play bent/straight like him and up until recently i have been using something close to a 2/1 grip with my bottom hand (and a 3.5/3 with the top hand). However, i have been struggeling with by BH for a while now and i changed to a weaker 2/1.5 grip with my bottom hand. Moving the heelpad futher down towards bevel 2, at least. i found that this gave me a much cleaner hit, and my BH felt more crisp and nice.
    what grip is most common with the bent/straight pros?

Roar.
    Last edited by roartt; 02-04-2008, 12:02 PM.

Nalbandian is among the weakest but it's still a mild continental probably about what you changed to or a little stronger. So long is it's an actual backhand grip it should work although some bent straight guys are quite strong.

One thing that there is no way of saying-how did the grip shift affect the shape of the swing? Send in some video if you want to be considered for Your Strokes. What I usually find is that verbals descriptions in these posts don't tell the story. That grip shift could be the perfect adjustment or there might be something more fundamental. Sometimes we make a change and things seem better for a while and don't stay that way.

Comment

John,

Can you tell what his top hand grip is? Eastern?

Jeff

Comment

I think your right about that John. Impossible to get the enitre truth on the table, by writing here. However, i feel that the weaker grip that i have changed to forces my contact point futher in front of the body wich feels more correct for bent/straight, even tough in theory it would be a stronger grip that should push the contact point more in front(?). I would like to get some video of my backhand if i can get a DV camera that can run enough frames per second. I think mineonly does 25 or something.

Anyways, here are a few shots of the grip i'm using with my lower hand, if you can make anything out of them. (yes, i'm a lefty)

Comment

Think his top grip is probably a 3 / 3.

Roart,

That grip looks fine. Still impossible to say much else. Your camera runs most likely 30 frames which is enough with a sports shutter setting.

Comment

My camera only runs at 25 fps, so i don't think that it will be good enough for analyses. I did film some, and was surprised to learn that i hit more flex/flex then bent/straight. Anyways, her's a peek:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

your video

Originally posted by roartt View Post
              i was wondering about what grip he uses with his bottom hand. i play bent/straight like him and up until recently i have been using something close to a 2/1 grip with my bottom hand (and a 3.5/3 with the top hand). However, i have been struggeling with by BH for a while now and i changed to a weaker 2/1.5 grip with my bottom hand. Moving the heelpad futher down towards bevel 2, at least. i found that this gave me a much cleaner hit, and my BH felt more crisp and nice.
              what grip is most common with the bent/straight pros?

Roar.
              Is your video recorded with your NEWER grip for the bottom hand?

Comment

yes it is, but i learned from the video that my right hand is not fully stretched, so i guess i hit more of a flex/flex, even tough the left arm is more bent then the right. so maybe you can call it a bent/flex or something
                Last edited by roartt; 02-08-2008, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Your video

yes it is, but i learned from the video that my right hand is not fully stretched, so i guess i hit more of a flex/flex, even tough the left arm is more bent then the right. so maybe you can call it a bent/flex or something
                  I will try to send you E-mail about your video today.
                  Your may consider reading the following article at the section
                  Your Strokes:
                  Sumner Chase:
                  Two-Handed Backhand
                  Please see the part about the unit turn.
                  Last edited by julian; 02-09-2008, 07:46 AM. Reason: expanded

Comment

i think you might be right julian. i'll have a look at it.

Comment

the article in the Your Stroke section

i think you might be right julian. i'll have a look at it.
                      Please let me know what do you think about the article from the Your Stroke
                      section.

Comment

video

My camera only runs at 25 fps, so i don't think that it will be good enough for analyses. I did film some, and was surprised to learn that i hit more flex/flex then bent/straight. Anyways, her's a peek:

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...7_17_46_06.flv
                        ul

For people watching the video:
                        it has the FULL SIZE option which allows to use a FULL screen of a laptop-
                        very usef

Comment

the finish and the stance

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...7_17_46_06.flv
                          The article in the Your strokes section:
                          1.advocates an open stance
                          2.videoes of pros show MUCH HIGHER FINISH

Comment

Don't confuse the extension of the swing-shown in the article with the wrap or deceleration phase in which naturally the racket will be higher as it goes backwards.

Comment

Doesn't nalbandian use his arms on the backswing at all? From the archive it seems as if he only turns with his shoulders? And does he use his wrist to tilt the rackethead up at end of the backswing? How does he come into the bent/straight conf, does he only straighten his left arm out or does he actually bent his right arm so the left naturally straightens?
                              I have tried to simulate his backhand but i don't find it's enough time to get into the bent/straight conf, so it ends up to be more sort of a flex/flex. Difficult to straighten the straight hitting arm.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2473 users online. 4 members and 2469 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X