Who has tried the K-Blade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has tried the K-Blade?

I became very interested in this racquet when Jo-Wilfried Tsonga beat Nadal in the Australian Open semis; and then he faced Nole Djokovic, who was also playing with it. I could not tell whether they were using the 93 or the 98. There's also a larger head, I think, and string tensions multiply the variations.
    Presently, I'm playing with a Liquidmetal Radical strung with Rip Control at 52 lbs. It's pretty good, but an excellent instructor -- a former tour player -- has told me the Gel model is better. How does the K-Blade compare? And with what strings at what tensions? Any lead tape? (That's a whole other discussion.)

My club still doesn't have demos. If it did, I wouldn't be asking.

I know that John Yandell isn't into racquet talk, but I'm guessing that a lot of forum posters are, so I hope he lets this in.

Some interesting questions. I will chime in because I am very into racquets, and specifically because I am playing with a modified kBlade Tour right now. I've also hit with the kBlade 98 and kBlade Team.

Neither Tsonga or Djokovic is actually playing with the kBlade Tour (though both have that paintjob on their racquets). Djokovic is most likely still playing with the Wilson copy of the Prestige MP that he has been playing with since he signed with Wilson. That is essentially what the nBlade MP was and the kBlade 98 is, but Djokovic's is most likely not the stock kBlade 98. Tsonga appears to be playing with the same racquet he played previously that was painted with a k6.1 paint scheme. I believe it is some European version of a Hyper Pro Staff. It is easily identified as not a kBlade Tour because it has the PWS.

Now, as far as which kBlade you might like...are you playing with the Radical OS or MP? I have not hit with the microgel Head's because we don't carry Head at the tennis center I am working at. So I cannot give a direct comparison to the kBlades. I will say that whatever Radical you are playing with you should definitely try the Team, and if you want something a little lower powered the MP. I'm not sure you will like the Tour. I was using a k6.1 Tour 90 and have used the PS 6.0 85 in the past...so I was used to the headsize. It is a lower weight mid, so I'm sure you could swing it, but you might not like the feel. It is kind of a love or hate racquet.

If I were you I would definitely try the Team and possibly the MP. I've found that they do tend to respond well to stiffer strings at mid to low tensions.

Comment

kblade

am currently demoing the kblade tour. find it very stable and solid. need to generate your own power. for in situations like reaching for a flat serve up the tee and tryinf to block it back ball falls alittle short. would like a bit more power. may lower my string tension and see if that helps. the k98 was too light and i could not get it in the weight balance point range i like, ie 12 oz 10pts headlight. p.s. you can demo many racquets at tenniswarehouse.com

Comment

What is PWS?

Originally posted by mordredsjt View Post
        Some interesting questions. I will chime in because I am very into racquets, and specifically because I am playing with a modified kBlade Tour right now. I've also hit with the kBlade 98 and kBlade Team.

Neither Tsonga or Djokovic is actually playing with the kBlade Tour (though both have that paintjob on their racquets). Djokovic is most likely still playing with the Wilson copy of the Prestige MP that he has been playing with since he signed with Wilson. That is essentially what the nBlade MP was and the kBlade 98 is, but Djokovic's is most likely not the stock kBlade 98. Tsonga appears to be playing with the same racquet he played previously that was painted with a k6.1 paint scheme. I believe it is some European version of a Hyper Pro Staff. It is easily identified as not a kBlade Tour because it has the PWS.

Now, as far as which kBlade you might like...are you playing with the Radical OS or MP? I have not hit with the microgel Head's because we don't carry Head at the tennis center I am working at. So I cannot give a direct comparison to the kBlades. I will say that whatever Radical you are playing with you should definitely try the Team, and if you want something a little lower powered the MP. I'm not sure you will like the Tour. I was using a k6.1 Tour 90 and have used the PS 6.0 85 in the past...so I was used to the headsize. It is a lower weight mid, so I'm sure you could swing it, but you might not like the feel. It is kind of a love or hate racquet.

If I were you I would definitely try the Team and possibly the MP. I've found that they do tend to respond well to stiffer strings at mid to low tensions.
        What is PWS?
        PWS Postwurfsendung (Geman direct/bulk mail) ????
        S means SHAFT?
        julian uspta 27873

juliantennis@comcast.net
        Last edited by uspta146749877; 02-23-2008, 11:42 AM. Reason: expanded

Comment

Originally posted by uspta146749877 View Post
          What is PWS?
          PWS Postwurfsendung (Geman direct/bulk mail) ????
          S means SHAFT?
          julian uspta 27873

juliantennis@comcast.net
          From TW:

Perimeter Weighting System

Uses weight on the perimeter (3 and 9 o'clock positions) of the frame to increase the racquet's inertia and to improve torsional stability and reduce racquet twisting.

-SF

Comment

PWS and Babolat?

Originally posted by uspta4271615439 View Post
            From TW:

Perimeter Weighting System

Uses weight on the perimeter (3 and 9 o'clock positions) of the frame to increase the racquet's inertia and to improve torsional stability and reduce racquet twisting.

-SF
            Do u think Babolat rackets do have a component performing the same function
            as PWS for Wilson rackets? I am very tempted to break my Pure Drive
            to check it.
            julian
            Last edited by uspta146749877; 03-02-2008, 06:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

racquet specs and "more power"

A little lead tape will add PWS to the L-Radical, but it's already a stable racquet. Interestingly its specs are almost identical to the mid-plus K-Blade's -- both have 325 swingweight; both have 18/20 stringing; weight of K-B is 11.1 oz to LR's 11.2; KB is 3 headlight, to LR's 4; both 64 stiff; KB has 20 beam, LR has 21. Both are made primarily of graphite -- (K)graphite black w/xloop weave at 3 & 9 o'clock; LR, LiquidMetal Titanium Graphite and Piezzo Electric Fibers. K-B recommended string is 50-60 lbs.; LR, 52-62.

These figures seem to indicate that the K-Blade is slightly lower-power. Has anyone so far found out how (K)graphite differs from other forms of graphite? Is it just another form of marketing mumbo-jumbo? And which players actually use the K-Blade? And does it matter?

I have been wasting time thinking about it. How much more can be done to improve racquets? Not much, I suppose. The manufacturers continually push "more power," although most pros use low-power racquets. Wouldn't beginners and all club players be better off with low-power, too?

Comment

Do u think Babolat rackets do have a component performing the same function
                as PWS for Wilson rackets? I am very tempted to break my Pure Drive
                to check it.
                julian
                www.julianmielniczuk.usptapro.com

The PWS would seem to serve three functions: 1) Added weight. 2) stiffening of the 3 and 9 positions of the frame. 3) leveling off the plan the string are on at 3 and 9.

The weight placement in Babolat racquets varies.

Yonex's IPS system (Integrated Power Weight System) places weight at 3 and 9, similarly. I have read on TT that Yonex's IPS system came prior to Wilson's PWS and Yonex is the reason Wilson had to place the PWS in bumps at 3 and 9. Originally Wilson just riveted on metal weights at 3 and 9. The idea goes that this infringed on Yonex's legal claim to the IPS system.

Here is a picture of the Wilson Ultra and Ultra II, the Ultra has the weight riveted on. http://www.woodtennis.com/sampras/ultras.jpg

-Shaun Frazeur

Comment

Ive tried the kblade, it feels good. I'm really impressed with wilsons most recent line of rackets. I try All prince, Most wilson, and some head racquets there. I am sponsored as a teacher for prince, but i am not at all impressed by their racquets. I like the shape of their grips. I hope that we can spark up some racquet conversation on this forum.

Comment

For the supermoderator

Originally posted by brett701 View Post
                    Ive tried the kblade, it feels good. I'm really impressed with wilsons most recent line of rackets. I try All prince, Most wilson, and some head racquets there. I am sponsored as a teacher for prince, but i am not at all impressed by their racquets. I like the shape of their grips. I hope that we can spark up some racquet conversation on this forum.
                    It would be good if the supermoderator would define whether it is OK
                    to talk about rackets here

Comment

Grips

Do u like Wilson grips or Prince grips?
                      julian uspta 27873

juliantennis@comcast.net
                      Last edited by uspta146749877; 03-15-2008, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Whick k-blade?

which of three k-blades ?
                        julian uspta pro 27873
                        juliantennis@comcast.net
                        Last edited by uspta146749877; 03-15-2008, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Prince Speedport

Did u try Prince Speedport White and Black?
                          julian uspta pro 27873
                          juliantennis@comcast.net
                          Last edited by uspta146749877; 03-15-2008, 06:52 AM.

Comment

It would be good if the supermoderator would define whether it is OK
                            to talk about rackets here
                            im sure its ok? i just think the "supermoderator" does not put alot of emphasis into equipment. IF this is the case it is unfortunate. I think he would do a great job at discovering this spectrum of tennis. Most people , do not have the same resources that he has.

Comment

Do u like Wilson grips or Prince grips?
                              julian uspta 27873
                              www.julianmielniczuk.usptapro.com
                              I like prince grips. Wilson come in 2nd. i do not like head or volkl grips. i feel like they force you into a specific grip that forces a style of play. They are much more rectangular and it is very hard to grab a semiwestern grip with these grips. It seems it pushes you towards full western or towards continental pending the side of the grip your hand is favoring.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2557 users online. 6 members and 2551 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X