McEnroe vs Phillioppousis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McEnroe vs Phillioppousis

Just wondering if anyone has watched the match on the Tennis Channel between McEnroe and Phillippousis. McEnroe is substantailly older than Phillippousis using old school technique (straight back backswings and traditional follow throughs) and he wins the match. One has to wonder how much benefit is actually derived from the modern game, which Phillippousis employs. I tend to think the modern game is better but certainly high quality tennis can be played the old fashion way.

Ralph

I saw it. No surprise. Phillippousis is like Safin -- great talent and potential, but almost always neglects to show up to play his best. It seems to me that McEnroe hits better groundies, especially backhands, today than he used to, thanks at least in part to that racquet Dunlop made for him. His ways of doing things have always baffled me, even when he was new school. Actually, he's a whole separate school, isn't he? And I'm surprised at how well he still gets to balls, in that stiff looking way of his.

Comment

mac vs the scud

i am a club player but it seems to me that whoever can place the ball where they want better to get the opponent out of position to get the ball they want so that theycan hit the winner or force an error will win. every day i see 70 year old guys beat men 20 to 50 years younger based on consistency and placement. unless your opponent's power is too much to handle or his angles open the court too much for you placement consistency and court smarts will take home the trophy.

Comment

I think what it boils down to is the obvious -- McEnroe is a gifted one-of-a-kind who still fights tenaciously for every point, and he's in better shape than he used to be, because he works out a lot to remain competitive. And, he isn't hampered by injuries.

Comment

IMHO, this is a very bad example of old school game vs. new school game for one primary reason: Philopousis has a very serious and chronic knee injury. If not for his serious knee injury, he would probably be ranked in the top 100 on the ATP tour today. This is the primary reason that he has been forced to retire from the ATP tour at an early age. He can't move with confidence and he has an incredible load to carry at 6 ft. 4 in. and built like a linebacker.

If Philly's knee was even as stable as a 49 year old McEnroe's he would probably blow McEnroe off the court.

This is not to say that new school is better than old school, but it would be a much better test to see two players who are equally healthy. Agassi against McEnroe or Sampras against McEnroe would be a better test; however, even in those match-ups there would be some unfairness because McEnroe is so much older than those two.

Comment

MP is not as new school as it might seem -Bollettieri in his book My Aces My Faults claims MP uses a continental grip on the forehand and looking at the stroke archive that appears to be true.

Comment

Flipper probably has an eastern grip. He hits with a straight arm, and uses a huge wiper on most forehands. One of the things that separates him from Mac is he likes to play a lot further back and take a huge swing.

Comment

McEnroe vs Venus or Serena

If McEnroe could beat Phillipousis, could he do the same against Serena or Venus? I would have to put my money on Mac.

Ralph

Comment

I think they wouldn't stand a chance against his serving, and he's no slouch as a baseliner, despite his age. Who was that German they played not long after they burst upon the scene and dominated? He was ranked 200 and smoked cigarettes during some of his sit-downs. Venus had boasted she could beat men at a certain level, and he took the challenge, and won easily, or so I read. And when Venus said she'd like another shot at him, Serena was quoted saying, "Are you crazy?" So, yes, I think he'd win. Consider the heavy-hitters he's beaten on the senior tour lately. He's a f'ing freak of nature.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2506 users online. 4 members and 2502 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X