Your Strokes: Ching Lee: Flat Serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Strokes: Ching Lee: Flat Serve

I love the simplicity and clarity of this article by Jeff Counts, and the mini-vids illustrate everything he says. I have one question -- how effective is Lee's spin serve technique? Counts notes that Lee's method completely impedes his ability to hit flat, but does it impart a lot of spin? How could Lee improve his slice/topspin without telegraphing his intention, as he does in those pictures. I'm pretty much a flat server, and have memorized the standard instructions for hitting various degrees of slice, but they don't work for me most of the time. A similar article by Counts about this would help a lot. Once upon a time, for three months, I had a deuce court slice that would tail off into the alley a few feet before the service line. Then it vanished, and I haven't been able to replicate it, no matter what I try. And I have yet to meet an instructor who is able to hit a fast, low-bouncing 90% slice, or anything close to it, let alone teach it. No doubt, there are plenty who can, but I haven't seen one do it around here.

topspin and slice serve

Originally posted by ochi View Post
    I love the simplicity and clarity of this article by Jeff Counts, and the mini-vids illustrate everything he says. I have one question -- how effective is Lee's spin serve technique? Counts notes that Lee's method completely impedes his ability to hit flat, but does it impart a lot of spin? How could Lee improve his slice/topspin without telegraphing his intention, as he does in those pictures. I'm pretty much a flat server, and have memorized the standard instructions for hitting various degrees of slice, but they don't work for me most of the time. A similar article by Counts about this would help a lot. Once upon a time, for three months, I had a deuce court slice that would tail off into the alley a few feet before the service line. Then it vanished, and I haven't been able to replicate it, no matter what I try. And I have yet to meet an instructor who is able to hit a fast, low-bouncing 90% slice, or anything close to it, let alone teach it. No doubt, there are plenty who can, but I haven't seen one do it around here.
    Hi,
    one possible reference is the book
    Duane Knudson "Biomechanical Principles of Tennis Technique"
    julian
    juliantennis@comcast.net
    Last edited by julian; 02-29-2008, 02:30 PM. Reason: explanded

Comment

Originally posted by ochi View Post

Glad you liked the article! I try to let the videos speak for themselves, so I'm glad you found that to be true in the article.

Lee was getting very good spin on the ball. As a second serve it is excellent. I'll look at the video again to comment on his ability to hide the intention of the spin.

As for slice, from my observations it has to do with the angle of the racket face on contact. You use the same pronating movement, but on contact the racket is at an angle rather than flat on the ball for a flat serve. I think the slice serve is a great weapon that isn't used enough today. I loved Sampras slice out wide.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 1990 users online. 6 members and 1984 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X