Quick Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality Check

Honestly, I am just trying to stir things up a bit in this forum. I find it fascinating that there is a massive launch of this program across the United States and only two people in this forum are even talking about it. I thought this topic would bring 20 pages of opinions. I tried to come out strong on one side just to fan some flames, but it seems we have no kindling in the fire pit. Oh well, let's hope the little tennis format does better than I just did at inciting interest.
    P.S. Julian, thanks for the input.

Comment

One point of progressive tennis is to help kids hit the ball at comfortable heights with more conversative grips, to learn how to volley, and to make the transition to the forecourt without it looking like it's a mile away.

I saw some kids in England playing incredible all court tennis under this system 3-4 yrs ago. Whether this will all lead to more champions there is no way to predict, because that's a genetic event. But if more players played more all court tennis sooner and that translated into their mature games even partially, well, I don't see how that could be a bad thing.

Comment

Technique is everything

Originally posted by uspta1366106393 View Post
        I am sorry that it has taken me awhile to get back to this forum. Somebody asked what progressive tennis is, it is just moving from smaller racquets and courts to larger racquets and courts.

I am not holding myself out to be an expert on junior developement, but I do believe that progressive tennis will help in many areas. First as stated by others it should help get more juniors playing tennis at the young ages. Second it should help juniors that mature at later ages, they can play and compete with bigger and stronger kids. Third, it should allow more juniors to develope one handed backhands and come to net more. Hopefully it will help young juniors move away form huge forehand grips and just moonballing rallies.

I have read that most of the Eourpean countries use progressive tennis and that Henin and Fed both started this way. Can't be sure that is true.

I don't think this is the end all program and as usual the USTA will change focus in a couple of years. As for as the $10 million the history of the USTA (or any large corporation, military, and/or the federal govt.) is that they overspend and have too much red tape. Cardio Tennis is a good example of a good program that is over hyped.

Look on utube and type in progressive tennis and the top rated video is very interesting.

Anyway if we just end up with more players that would not be so bad.
        "Technique is everything"
        Please see

Comment

You need a fire to have a forum

Originally posted by CraigC View Post
          Honestly, I am just trying to stir things up a bit in this forum. I find it fascinating that there is a massive launch of this program across the United States and only two people in this forum are even talking about it. I thought this topic would bring 20 pages of opinions. I tried to come out strong on one side just to fan some flames, but it seems we have no kindling in the fire pit. Oh well, let's hope the little tennis format does better than I just did at inciting interest.
          P.S. Julian, thanks for the input.
          Hi,
          please see my tread responding to
          uspta1366106393
          We need a fire to have a forum or
          maybe
          you need a forum to have a fire ?
          julian uspta pro 27873
          Last edited by uspta146749877; 03-17-2008, 07:52 AM.

Comment

You cannot be serious

Originally posted by uspta1366106393 View Post
            I am sorry that it has taken me awhile to get back to this forum. Somebody asked what progressive tennis is, it is just moving from smaller racquets and courts to larger racquets and courts.

I am not holding myself out to be an expert on junior developement, but I do believe that progressive tennis will help in many areas. First as stated by others it should help get more juniors playing tennis at the young ages. Second it should help juniors that mature at later ages, they can play and compete with bigger and stronger kids. Third, it should allow more juniors to develope one handed backhands and come to net more. Hopefully it will help young juniors move away form huge forehand grips and just moonballing rallies.

I have read that most of the Eourpean countries use progressive tennis and that Henin and Fed both started this way. Can't be sure that is true.

I don't think this is the end all program and as usual the USTA will change focus in a couple of years. As for as the $10 million the history of the USTA (or any large corporation, military, and/or the federal govt.) is that they overspend and have too much red tape. Cardio Tennis is a good example of a good program that is over hyped.

Look on utube and type in progressive tennis and the top rated video is very interesting.

Anyway if we just end up with more players that would not be so bad.
            Hi,
            your quote
            "Hopefully it will help young juniors move away form huge forehand grips and just moonballing rallies."
            You cannot be serious

Do u mean that I will teach a continental grip FOR BASELINE STROKES
            before age of 10 and SEMIWESTERN later?

Another issue:
            can we teach strokes like shown in

It is just as an example what we can do if we try hard enough
            julian
            Last edited by uspta146749877; 03-17-2008, 08:16 AM.

Comment

See an article from New York Times

Originally posted by airforce1 View Post
              Craig,
              I'm not really up on the mini tennis thing, so I shouldn't comment.
              But I will anyway, hahaha.

1st, I don't think a comparison of your 2 groups can be made at the end of those weeks. It would take months or years to see if the understanding of the court from the mini tennis had paid serious dividends. The nerf tennis is not going to make the kids automaticly hit the regular ball better right away, but it might help in developing form that could pay off in the long run.

#2 relates to #1
              we try to make too much in tennis out of how kids do so young. Many of the greats in other sports don't ever show it till their 20s, but in tennis, we have already written them off by then. To be a late bloomer in tennis, you have to beat the system and your opponents!

By my estimations, the Jordans and Barkleys of tennis never get the chance in our sport. The entry is too blocked by the time these guys showed any promise!
              Greetings from Scotland,
              See an article from New York Times quoted below
              https://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/04/s...=1&oref=slogin -
              Last edited by uspta146749877; 03-31-2008, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2610 users online. 7 members and 2603 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X