Sampras/Federer USTA Link Tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sampras/Federer USTA Link Tonight

It's over, and thanks to USTA for making the match available to everyone who does not get Tennis Channel or MSG Plus. It seemed to me that Sampras might have won if he hadn't bricked so many at net, and if his volleys had had more sting and angle. But then, Federer might have raised his game just enough, as he did in that four-ace game.

What do you USPTA people think? And what about Sampras going to Chile to play Rios, and to Buenos Aires to play Nalbandian (so I've heard)? Will he accept a Wimby wild card if he does well? Should he? The common view is that he's not prepared to play up to two weeks of five-setters, against different styles each match. But it appears that he is in pretty good shape right now, and has three more months to get ready. I'd love to see it -- at least Stella Artois.
    Last edited by ochi; 03-11-2008, 01:40 PM. Reason: updating, and the headline should reflect it, please

Which time?

Originally posted by ochi View Post
    In case some have not heard, the USTA has arranged to have the match aired online, for those who don't have TC or MSG Plus. The announcement is, in part, "The match will air live nationally on Tennis Channel and in the New York metro area on MSG Plus (formerly FOX Sports Net New York). The video will also be streamed live on TVUNetworks.com and MSG.com.

Please post comments here later.
    Which time?

Comment

time

Two former touring pros who were at the match assured me that the outcome had been decided before it began, and that "orchestrated is a good word for it."
      They contended that all exhibitions are "orchestrated." (I wonder if Rios will go along with that.) If true, I guess it explains why Sampras bricked some at the net, and why he volleyed right back to Federer sometimes in the third set, and how Federer blasted four consecutive aces near the end of that set. Either way, they put on an excellent show for 19,000 fans. I would not ask for my money back.
      Last edited by ochi; 03-16-2008, 04:28 AM. Reason: update

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2602 users online. 10 members and 2592 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X