The forehand Grip and stances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The forehand Grip and stances

Does Federers forehand grip switch as he changes his stances?(open, closed, semiclosed) I know that he flattens it to about an eastern or light eastern on his return of serve. Im curious about his regular strokes.

This is causing me a bit of trouble. I can always play with my full western, however im trying to switch to the semiwestern as i would like to be able to hit flatter balls. It seems that my grip is getting very confused.

If he changes I can't see it in the video. So if he does it's slight at best. I think it's a mistake to try to make any kind of significant grip change between balls on topspin drives either side. All the grips have pluses and minuses.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
      If he changes I can't see it in the video. So if he does it's slight at best. I think it's a mistake to try to make any kind of significant grip change between balls on topspin drives either side. All the grips have pluses and minuses.
      He changes it on return of serve. i believe i read this on an article on this site that his forehand grip is less extreme on the return of serve than his normal ground strokes.

Comment

Yes! Definitely on the return. Thought you meant from forehand to forehand.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
          Yes! Definitely on the return. Thought you meant from forehand to forehand.
          So ive been thinking about this. Many pros have less extreme grips than their normal grips on the return of serve.

I'm not sure if this is entirely true. I am speaking from my experience. When i am playing doubles my grip is a strong semiwestern when returning serve because i have an open stance and i am compensating for this. When im hitting my strokes i am neutral stance and my grip is less severe. The only times that it might be less severe of a grip is if im reaching for a ball on ROS and my grip naturally slides while reaching.

Comment

definition of stronger and weaker

Originally posted by brett701 View Post
            So ive been thinking about this. Many pros have less extreme grips than their normal grips on the return of serve.

I'm not sure if this is entirely true. I am speaking from my experience. When i am playing doubles my grip is a strong semiwestern when returning serve because i have an open stance and i am compensating for this. When im hitting my strokes i am neutral stance and my grip is less severe. The only times that it might be less severe of a grip is if im reaching for a ball on ROS and my grip naturally slides while reaching.
            Hi,
            a general acceptable terminology is:
            1.a stronger grip
            2.a weaker grip

Does " less severe" translate to weaker?

Comment

What is ROS?

Originally posted by brett701 View Post

What is ROS?

Comment

Originally posted by uspta146749877 View Post
                Hi,
                a general acceptable terminology is:
                1.a stronger grip
                2.a weaker grip

Does " less severe" translate to weaker?
                By Strong Semiwestern i mean it is nearly western. When i say a weak Semiwestern i am meaning it is closer to Eastern.

Comment

Originally posted by uspta146749877 View Post
                  What is ROS?
                  REturn OF Serve

Comment

My take on less severe or more eastern grips for rtn of serve.

For rtn serve in the pro game you will generally be taking the ball on the rise. To take the ball on the rise, one of the better ways to do this is much like a half volley; shorter backswing, driving thru the ball more than brushing it, and moving forward into the shot. The Eastern and simi western generally work better in this arena, as well as helping if a chip/slice is in order.

The above is how I play a server with a good first serve, but then usually I can switch to a more simi western for the second serve where I can treat it more like a ground stroke return.
                    Does that make sense?

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2364 users online. 6 members and 2358 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X