Who is more likely to have calluses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is more likely to have calluses?

A friend of mine and I were discussing which type of player is more likely to have calluses on his/her dominant hand. He says people with looser grips are more likely to have calluses and I think those who grip very tightly would be more likely to have calluses.

Or, is there something that neither of us has considered?

What do you all think?

Thank you.

Uh, maybe it's skin type! Interesting question, no idea really of the answer, except skin type might have something to do with it.

Comment

Another Callus request

Tim and John,
      I'll try another angle on this question. Which hand should have calluses if a right handed player uses a two handed backhand? And if the left hand doesn't have any, is the player hitting it the right way? I think this is something lie ..If a tree falls in the forest....or if a man says something and a lady isn't there to accuse him of being an idiot, did he say anything at all?
      CC

Comment

"You cannot be serious"

Originally posted by CraigC View Post
        Tim and John,
        I'll try another angle on this question. Which hand should have calluses if a right handed player uses a two handed backhand? And if the left hand doesn't have any, is the player hitting it the right way? I think this is something lie ..If a tree falls in the forest....or if a man says something and a lady isn't there to accuse him of being an idiot, did he say anything at all?
        CC
        "You cannot be serious"

Comment

Thanks, John and Craig.

Do you think having calluses, or not, has anything to do with what type of grip one uses (e.g. semi-western)?

It seems that just about every tennis player who uses a one-handed backhand has a callus on the thumb of his/her dominant hand. That's not what my friend and I are asking about. We are trying to figure out if grip pressure affects whether one will get calluses on the other fingers, palm, or heal pad.

How about all of you? Please list whether you have calluses and if so, how tightly you grip the racket and what type of grip you use for your various strokes.

I use a continental for volleys and slice backhands, a strong eastern for one-hand topspin backhands and a mild semi-western for forehands and I have no calluses.

What about you guys?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by timludeke View Post
            Thanks, John and Craig.

Do you think having calluses, or not, has anything to do with what type of grip one uses (e.g. semi-western)?

It seems that just about every tennis player who uses a one-handed backhand has a callus on the thumb of his/her dominant hand. That's not what my friend and I are asking about. We are trying to figure out if grip pressure affects whether one will get calluses on the other fingers, palm, or heal pad.

How about all of you? Please list whether you have calluses and if so, how tightly you grip the racket and what type of grip you use for your various strokes.

I use a continental for volleys and slice backhands, a strong eastern for one-hand topspin backhands and a mild semi-western for forehands and I have no calluses.

What about you guys?

Thanks.
            I received a pretty large callus switching to the 1 hander. i spent like 2 hours hitting it 1 day to the ball machine. I think its a matter of just building up tougher skin. U can think of it as the 1 hander has to take in so much more force while the 2 handed backhand can share the force coming in. I have never gotten a callus or blister from my 2 hander to my recolection, but i have from my 1 hander. The type of grip needs to be taken into account.... how sticky it is will speed up the blister.

BTW, very nice grips on your strokes. I approve. I really emphasis grips while others think its insignificant.

Comment

Hey Brett,

I'm perplexed with the whole callus thing. I used to have calluses way back when I was first playing now I don't have calluses. It might have to do with using a leather grip then and synthetic grips with an overgrip now. I have a slight callus on my right thumb from the one-handed backhand, but that's the only one.

My friend and I are still debating the tight grip/loose grip theory.

He thinks Fed (and probably all pros) has calluses because he appears to grip the racket pretty loosely. I asked why Rafa's fingers are all taped up because he doesn't appear to grip loosely. Gonzo is taped up, too. They both seem to muscle the ball.

Anyone else have any theories?

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2686 users online. 3 members and 2683 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X