Best Strokes possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Strokes possible

When teaching, i always consider the players age, ability, and overall potential. Some students just want to hit and get a workout and receive occasional advice. Some want to improve consistency , but dont want to reconstruct the strokes, and sometimes you run across amazing opportunities to create a tremendous player. I have sort of been scouting future players in clinics and finding the best athletes. I've found some amazing athletes and im wanting to know what others believe the best strokes would be if you could create the greatest possible player. I know some people will do things unique and you cannot replicate a federer, but if we can aim for a federer than maybe they will make the adjustments necessary and help translate the game in the future.

SOOOO.. sorry about that long intro. THe point im getting to... Who's strokes would you emulate? Basically, lets create a super player.

Ill start off.

Forehand: Federer - i like his versatility and ability to hit flat.(semiwestern grip)

Backhand: Henin - bc/ it is not weak on higher balls and works tremendous. If 2 handed -i really like nadals, also i like a backhand eastern grip which im not sure he has.

Volley's- Sampras-he is not afraid to swing at his volleys is he? He seems to always have the right length on his stroke.
    Overhead-Sampras

Serve: this is a tough decision for me. I like players that do not step into the ball because i believe the accuracy is improved and it gives an overall better balance. I would have to say Sampras/Federer/.

Overhead: Sampras, it looks good and is super effective. THeir may be better, however.

Return of Serve: Agassi, but i dont know if you can just take just a players return of serve and replicate it, you must be replicating alot of the rest of their game as well.

Thanks. I look forward to everyones response.
    Last edited by brett701; 04-06-2008, 06:26 AM.

Strokes or Shots

Brett,

Are you asking best strokes or best shots? Technical or Practical?

Comment

Originally posted by CraigC View Post
      Brett,

Are you asking best strokes or best shots? Technical or Practical?

Technical. ID say lets say 90% technical and 10% effectiveness. HOwever, the 2 will crosspaths a great deal.

Comment

explanation please

Originally posted by brett701 View Post
        When teaching, i always consider the players age, ability, and overall potential. Some students just want to hit and get a workout and receive occasional advice. Some want to improve consistency , but dont want to reconstruct the strokes, and sometimes you run across amazing opportunities to create a tremendous player. I have sort of been scouting future players in clinics and finding the best athletes. I've found some amazing athletes and im wanting to know what others believe the best strokes would be if you could create the greatest possible player. I know some people will do things unique and you cannot replicate a federer, but if we can aim for a federer than maybe they will make the adjustments necessary and help translate the game in the future.

SOOOO.. sorry about that long intro. THe point im getting to... Who's strokes would you emulate? Basically, lets create a super player.

Ill start off.

Forehand: Federer - i like his versatility and ability to hit flat.(semiwestern grip)

Backhand: Henin - bc/ it is not weak on higher balls and works tremendous. If 2 handed -i really like nadals, also i like a backhand eastern grip which im not sure he has.

Volley's- Sampras-he is not afraid to swing at his volleys is he? He seems to always have the right length on his stroke.
        Overhead-Sampras

Serve: this is a tough decision for me. I like players that do not step into the ball because i believe the accuracy is improved and it gives an overall better balance. I would have to say Sampras/Federer/.

Overhead: Sampras, it looks good and is super effective. THeir may be better, however.

Return of Serve: Agassi, but i dont know if you can just take just a players return of serve and replicate it, you must be replicating alot of the rest of their game as well.

I do NOT understand the combo about serve:
        "I like players that do not step into the ball"
        and Sampras.

What do you mean by the phrase " stepping into the ball"?
        Do u mean stepping into a court?
        Last edited by uspta146749877; 04-28-2008, 01:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Nadal and backhand-clarification please

Originally posted by brett701 View Post

Ill start off.

Overhead-Sampras

Are you saying that Nadal uses a backhand eastern grip for his bottom hand?

Comment

Forehand- Bagdatis, Simply fantastic!! Not a whole lot going on there , nothing crazy, compact, consistant, and powerful. Universal finish.

Backhand- Safin, Again not a hole lot going on there either. Set it and forget it. Nice and smooth , no wasted motion , consistant , powerful , World Class of World Class!

Serve- Federer , Simple yet outstanding, no wasted motion, are you getting the point!!

Vollys- I thought players only came to the net to spin the racket , and shake hands?

If the players you got are indeed great althletes, then let them be great althlets! Basic and then let them evolve. With practice,practice,practice!!!

Comment

Serve- There is only one choice here, at least in the last 20 yrs.
              Sampras- clearly the best second serve (probably ever), which goes so, so far into allowing him to do sooo much with his first serve. Clearly the most clutch 1st and 2ond and clearly the most accurate and dependable.

Rtn of serve- Federer, as he gets so many returns in play, the one thing Agassi didn't do, even as great as his return was.

Volley- Edberg- enough said

Bkhand and Forehand -I'd take Federer again due to versatility and balance involved in making shots. Handles the mid-court ball better than anyone, probably the real key to his success.****

Overhead- Sampras, with the bicycle kick option

In the end, a blend of Fed's forehand and backhand with the rest Sampras, and you'd pretty much have the perfect player. Both of their volleys would do just fine.

Comment

Alternates

Some alternate suggestions:

Serve: Wayne Arthurs

Volleys: Pat Rafter

Return: Marcelo Rios

Forehand: Jim Courier

Backhand: Gustavo Kuerten

Comment

forehand?

Originally posted by airforce1 View Post
                  Serve- There is only one choice here, at least in the last 20 yrs.
                  Sampras- clearly the best second serve (probably ever), which goes so, so far into allowing him to do sooo much with his first serve. Clearly the most clutch 1st and 2ond and clearly the most accurate and dependable.

Rtn of serve- Federer, as he gets so many returns in play, the one thing Agassi didn't do, even as great as his return was.

Volley- Edberg- enough said

Bkhand and Forehand -I'd take Federer again due to versatility and balance involved in making shots. Handles the mid-court ball better than anyone, probably the real key to his success.****

Overhead- Sampras, with the bicycle kick option

In the end, a blend of Fed's forehand and backhand with the rest Sampras, and you'd pretty much have the perfect player. Both of their volleys would do just fine.
                  as forehand goes federer lives and dies on it-see 44 errors in Monte Carlo-
                  some balls landed in a neighbouring country

Comment

That forehand stuff is mostly just lately since his bout with mono.
                    He's trying to do too much with the fh just to shorten matches because his fitness is not there yet.
                    In that context, it's going pretty well.

Comment

"That forehand stuff is mostly just lately since his bout with mono. He's trying to do too much with the fh just to shorten matches because his fitness is not there yet. In that context, it's going pretty well."

Airforce1, no! He's been giving opponents too many UEs for more than a year, and I mean UNFORCED, bad routine misses. His average has been about 15 per set, mostly forehands. Keep track as the season continues. I hope that you can come back at me, saying you have seen very few. I am a Fed rooter; I want him to be far more consistent. I want continual near-perfection from him. That he has been able to stay on top in spite of giving away so many points is remarkable, but it does not make him the most dominant ever, except on paper.

Comment

Maybe you are right?
                        But I have not seen it before the Aussie open except the odd match, when he seemed to be bored and trying things. I've never thought the stats told the whole story in matches that are not evenly matched, which has been the case the last couple of years for Fed. His FH errors almost never seemed to come at bad times and when they did, he just adjusted and would go on a streak with no errors to right the ship quickly. Example.. the 6' 9" GA player after the 1st set.

In the past, it seemed he didn't have enough tough match ups to keep him sharp, so when someone did step up, it seemed to catch him off guard some.

I'll go ck some video of matches I have from last year. I don't have enough to be accurate about it, but enough to satisfy my curiosity maybe.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2406 users online. 5 members and 2401 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X