Secrets of the Wide Slice and Pancho Segura

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secrets of the Wide Slice and Pancho Segura

I really enjoyed the article 'Secrets of the Wide Slice'..It was nice to see Dennis Ralston give so much credit to Pancho Gonzales ... I grew up watching some of those early greats like Laver , Rosewall, Roche, Stolle, Emerson, Santana, Riggs,and so many more... But the one I really idolize is my teacher Pancho Segura.. He and Gonzales were close friends and Segura taught Gonzales's son and Gonzales taught Segura's son,because both of them would have killed their own kids if the fathers had their kids on the same court.
    Segura was the best teacher ever... all the the pros would come over to see him to ask for quick fixes ... I remembered seeing almost the whole USA Davis cup team having Segura fix them on their weakness and have them work on things they needed to improve... PS was so generous with his time.. As Ralston stated that he stayed with P.Gonzales,Jimmy Conners had lived with Segura for a long time ... Conners and Spencer(P.S's son) were best friends and got in a whole lot of things together... P.S. and Jimbo had a falling out but everyone knows that P.Segura made Jimbo the great champion that he is...
    Pancho Segura is still around and I hope that TENNISPLAYER.net can maybe interview him and/or have him work on some articles ... he is truly a real tennis genius ..
    If you know Pancho Segura and like to share some stories with me(us) here ,let's do it ,because he so great for tennis...K.M.

thanks for sharing those comments and adding depth to an already, excellent piece! I love reading and learning about that group of guys. So many of them are under rated with all the focus on Rod, Pete, and Federer.

Comment

yeah I say Pancho S. down in Indian Wells not this year, but the year before--funny as ever...

I said something like "Pancho Segura, living legend..."

And he said something like "That's right mother fucker a legend in the bathroom..."

Have you see Kings of the Courts? Major interviews with him and many other legends...

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
        yeah I say Pancho S. down in Indian Wells not this year, but the year before--funny as ever...

I said something like "Pancho Segura, living legend..."

And he said something like "That's right mother fucker a legend in the bathroom..."

Have you see Kings of the Courts? Major interviews with him and many other legends...
        No I haven't seen that movie ,but that's Pancho,I think he said in his BEDROOM ... He's always good at all those four letter words...He will curse out anything anytime no-matter who's around...
        I can tell you how much of a genius he is... we were watching Jimbo play Ashe at Wimbledon and Jimbo was winning and then Pancho turns to me and says" that's it Ashe's got him,Jimbo's going to lose,he found his weakness" and just like that the rest is history ...
        So please try to pick his brain if you have a chance... and tell him GORDITO(the king of Siam) says hi....

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2551 users online. 5 members and 2546 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X