"The Art of Doubles"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Art of Doubles"

A friend has given me a copy of this smart, well-written book by Pat Blaskower, a former NoCal champion and coach elsewhere. It is a turn-on, far more interesting (to me) than "Tennis Tactics" by Bill Talbert, a 1983 book that Blaskower refers to, and drew from, with great respect.

Here are the first few sentences from her introduction:

"Why do some doubles teams look like wooden soldiers and others like a pair of dancers whose movements seem synchronized to the sound of music only they can hear? All that running around on the court -- where are they going? How do they know where to be?

"There are, essentially, three kinds of doubles teams: those who make things happen, those who watch what happens, and those who wonder what the hell happened." I realize now that I'm a member of each group, and feel informed about how not to be "playing singles with a helper," which still creeps in. Having a regular partner with this knowledge is a great advantage. Many, or most, of us play with many partners, however.

Blaskower's book prompted me to continue my exploration of John Yandell's site. I found two excellent essays on doubles -- Louis Cayer's "Doubles Playing Styles" and Allen Fox's two-part "Doubles Strategy." Cayer has counseled or coached top ATP teams over many years. Fox is a renowned thinker and teacher, and was a heck of a tour player.

While I'm on the subject of instruction, I should note that I have, in the last two weeks, found topics I had requested before searching well enough to learn that they exist deep in TP's archive. One was the slice backhand: there is basic information, with old mini-vids, on how Don Budge and Ken Rosewall did it. In another post, I said I would rather know how Rafa Nadal gets so much heat and various spins on his forehands, than how Federer uses a more complicated technique that provides him with molto UEs. A disection of Nadal's forehand was presented by John Yandell in early '06, I think it was. I would still like to read/see an explanation of why Federer's been averaging about 15 UEs per set, mostly forehands, over the past 12 months or so. Could it be because of his cross-body follow-through. Does he need a slightly higher finish?

I haven't come up with a copy of Cayer's book on doubles yet. Please comment if you have read it. And what is the title?
    Last edited by ochi; 05-01-2008, 02:00 PM. Reason: two minor brush-ups and a correction

Cayer

Originally posted by ochi View Post
    A friend has given me a copy of this smart, well-written book by Pat Blaskower, a former NoCal champion and coach elsewhere. It is a turn-on, far more interesting (to me) than "Tennis Tactics" by Bill Talbert, a 1983 book that Blaskower refers to, and drew from, with great respect.

Here are the first few sentences from her introduction:

"Why do some doubles teams look like wooden soldiers and others like a pair of dancers whose movements seem synchronized to the sound of music only they can hear? All that running around on the court -- where are they going? How do they know where to be?

"There are, essentially, three kinds of doubles teams: those who make things happen, those who watch what happens, and those who wonder what the hell happened." I realize now that I'm a member of each group, and feel informed about how not to be "playing singles with a helper," which still creeps in. Having a regular partner with this knowledge is a great advantage. Many, or most, of us play with many partners, however.

Blaskower's book prompted me to continue my exploration of John Yandell's site. I found two excellent essays on doubles -- Louis Cayer's "Doubles Playing Styles" and Allen Fox's two-part "Doubles Strategy." Cayer has counseled or coached top ATP teams over many years. Fox is a renowned thinker and teacher, and was a heck of a tour player.

While I'm on the subject of instruction, I should note that I have, in the last two weeks, found topics I had requested before searching well enough to learn that they exist deep in TP's archive. One was the slice backhand: there is basic information, with old mini-vids, on how Don Budge and Ken Rosewall did it. In another post, I said I would rather know how Rafa Nadal gets so much heat and various spins on his forehands, than how Federer uses a more complicated technique that provides him with molto UEs. A disection of Nadal's forehand was presented by John Yandell in early '06, I think it was. I would still like to read/see an explanation of why Federer's been averaging about 15 UEs per set, mostly forehands, over the past 12 months or so. Could it be because of his cross-body follow-through. Does he need a slightly higher finish?

I haven't come up with a copy of Cayer's book on doubles yet. Please comment if you have read it. And what is the title?
    Doubles Tennis Tactics

There is a dvd of the same title by the same person as well
    See www.humankinetics.com
    Last edited by uspta146749877; 05-02-2008, 05:07 AM.

Comment

doubles

louis cayer has done a terrific job on teaching doubles. i first owned the video which i watched over and over to absorb the contents. i have since bought the dvd/ book combo. its nice to have the book as a reference but you cannot beat the visuals to see the concepts. GREAT material for the student of doubles.

Comment

doubles

http://www.amazon.com/Doubles-Tennis.../dp/B000HRLWOE this link will get you to the book and dvd

Comment

"The Art of Doubles"is officially dead....

"The Art of Doubles"is officially dead.... even the USTA tried to kill it a few years ago until the Bryan twins started to win and became USA most famous tennis personalities ... But watching high ranking Jr.s even Pac 10 matches,I see no real doubles... I see women's double being played everywhere(one back,one up at net then X-court rallies all day long). 2 singles guys playing doubles.. Man, please! send every player an instructional DVD or book,, fast...

Comment

uspta and doubles

Originally posted by kmoranon View Post
            "The Art of Doubles"is officially dead.... even the USTA tried to kill it a few years ago until the Bryan twins started to win and became USA most famous tennis personalities ... But watching high ranking Jr.s even Pac 10 matches,I see no real doubles... I see women's double being played everywhere(one back,one up at net then X-court rallies all day long). 2 singles guys playing doubles.. Man, please! send every player an instructional DVD or book,, fast...
            Hi,
            probably improving a doubles part of an USPTA certification manual
            would be a step in right direction.

Comment

Yes, that is a good suggestion related to the certification.

Wonder why doubles is treated so lightly. I guess cause no one person gets the credit.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2769 users online. 8 members and 2761 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X