What's with Almagro's serving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's with Almagro's serving?

As of this morning (June 2), Nicolas Almagro is the ace leader at Roland Garros, with 78! On ground brick! Ivan Ljubicic is next with 57, and it fades fast from there. I've been watching the guy and can't figure it out. His technique is simple, good placements, not as explosive as that of many other players. That's maybe part of it -- less is more?

Would like to know what Eric Matuszewski, USPTA146749877, airforce1, Stickman, Bungalow Bill, Bottle and others see there.

Almagro uses a Dunlop 500 Aerogel Tour, a stiff, 11.1-ounce, 100-sq. inch racquet.

June 3: A day later and Almagro has lost to Nadal, 1, 1 and 1, having come into the French with the winningest record this clay season. John McEnroe said, "It's been a pitiful effort." Go figure. McEnroe also said that Almagro had been serving mostly in the 130s. I hope John Yandell or someone else will reveal his secret. Could it be, simply, that it's simple and that he consistently strikes the ball very cleanly? What a novel approach.

I'm going to slow-motion what I've taped on an old VCR, but it will be jerky.

June 4: Almagro finished with 81 aces; Ljubicic had 67; Federer had 43, according to today's RG chart (don't whether it includes his match with Gonzalez); and Djokovic had 38. Almagro was tied with Ljubicic and Davydenko at 5th for serving speed, 139.19 mph. Soderling had the fastest serve, 141.68 mph.

June 20: I am looking forward to seeing him play at Wimbledon -- seeing how effective his strong kick serve will be on grass, and if his flat will skid and stay low while the grass remains green and somewhat juicy. By the second week, the courts should be getting hard and playing much differently, especially if there has been frequent rain. Grass even plays differently as the day goes on, depending on the dewpoint and how much sun there is. Evenings are much different than afternoons. Almagro might be more dangerous there than he was in Paris. By the way, a brief Wickipedia profile states that he plays with a Dunlop 300G "painted as an Aerogel 500 Tour." If so, there must be a lot of added weight. Last year, I customized a 300G with a little lead tape on the head and some caulk in the butt, and it still felt insubstantial.

A few years ago, two unknowns named Ferrer and Davydenko seemed to come out of nowhere at Roland Garros, on their way to becoming top 6 players. Maybe Almagro will do the same at Wimbledon. Remember, he was the winningest player coming into the French, where he was finally stopped, decisively, by Nadal.

He is the 19th seed and will face Marcel Granollers-Pujol of Spain in the first round.
    Last edited by ochi; 06-20-2008, 06:44 AM. Reason: another update

Serve

Originally posted by ochi View Post
    As of this morning, Nicolas Almagro is the ace leader at Roland Garros, with 78! On ground brick! Ivan Ljubicic is next with 57, and it fades fast from there. I've been watching the guy and can't figure it out. His technique is simple, good placements, not as explosive as that of many other players. That's maybe part of it -- less is more?

Would like to know what Eric Matuszewski, USPTA146749877, airforce1, Stickman, Bungalow Bill, Bottle and others see there.

Almagro uses a Dunlop 500 Aerogel, which, I think, is a nicely dampened version of the previous 200, which was almost the same as the LM Radical -- stable, not very powerful racquets, right?

I'm going to slow-motion what I've taped on an old VCR, but it will be jerky.
    A loosely related subject:
    Please click

Comment

link didn't wk to ny art.

Comment

A different Web page

Originally posted by airforce1 View Post
        link didn't wk to ny art.
        Try
        Ana Ivanovic, currently ranked No. 2 in the world, uses her height and body motion to propel a powerful serve. Here is a breakdown of her mechanics.

or
        http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2..._GRAPHIC.html#
        Last edited by uspta146749877; 06-04-2008, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Yes! There it is that gorgeous Tennisplayer clip in the NY Times. I like it.

Comment

Almagro on grass

I have added to my original post, regarding Almagro at Wimbledon, and about his racquet.

Comment

Ochi,

I don't have any footage of his serve to do an analysis.

I watched him play Davydenko live @ the U.S. Open 2 years ago though and I did notice that he was a strong guy, I'd estimate him to be one of the more muscular players in the top 20.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2495 users online. 7 members and 2488 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X