THE FRENCH FINAL PREVIEW-R and R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE FRENCH FINAL PREVIEW-R and R

I thought this might prove interesting for those that didn't get a chance to read it. Several people said they liked the analysis, so I'm re-posting it for thoughts prior to French 2008 final. This one was a post-match analysis, from 2005, the first time Roger and Rafa played on the dirt in a grand slam. I'd love to hear thoughts on how things might have changed over the past few years. Thoughts on whether these advantages and disadvantages have changed, decreased or increased? Thoughts about tactical issues this time around? Oh yea, and who's gonna win??????

2005 FRENCH OPEN ANALYSIS OF ROGER AND RAFA--well, RAFA AND ROGER!

First I am truly depressed at Federer’s performance and give all credit to Nadal for being the one guy that can take Fed off his game. So, as requested, here is my take on the match. I only saw it once so there may be a few glitches but….

The Fed plan was obvious from the beginning. Roger used his inside-in forehand to get the ball to Nadal’s backhand and then tried to attack using his forehand angle. Nadal countered this effectively by the second set, using a variety of passing shots that kept Fed very off balance. One hard line, one dipping line, one hard cross, one lob…brilliant variety.

Fed tried to play crosscourt to Nadal’s backhand, and Nadal tried to play crosscourt to Federer’s backhand. Several times throughout the match, Federer tried to switch the rally by hitting his backhand down the line. Nadal hit back down the line and they got into a down the line rally. Nadal dominated a laarge majority of these rallies early and I believe Roger realized that he could not win using that tactic. He tried the slice up the line, the short slice up the line, the drive up the line …and Nadal countered all of these perfectly hitting back down the line with better pace and depth than Federer.

I found it very strange that Federer did not employ his backhand angle when Nadal hit a down the line backhand. Federer claims it is one of his favorite shots and he hit it only once in the entire match. I believe it could have stopped Nadal from hitting back down the line so often……All of this means that Federer had only a few choices off the ground. Either, he had to hit his forehand so angled that Nadal couldn’t change direction, but Nadal played many backhands up the middle to take away Federer’s angle. Or, he had to rip his backhand HARD crosscourt to punish Nadal for hitting the backhand down the line. He failed miserably on this account. I believe we saw the same thing happening over and over because Nadal forced Federer to make that shot, and Roger did not execute. MacEnroe claimed that Fed should have sliced more but the few times Federer did slice, Nadal read it so quickly that he got up on the ball and rolled a tight angle to Federer’s backhand, putting him in more jeopardy.

Now, Fed won almost 80% of his net points, but did not venture in very often. He won most of his serve and volley points, but only played those on break points. I cannot answer why but I believe it was a major tactical error. Even if he loses a couple of games on his returns, why did he not chip and charge or rip returns and come to net, just to make Nadal think about the possibility of an attack. He already lost most of Nadal’s service games so why not change it up. It seemed Roger wanted to beat a claycourter using a claycourt style.

Federer used many wide serves on the deuce side figuring Nadal would hit the ball crosscourt to Roger’s forehand so Fed could start the rally on offense. Nadal hit some brilliant returns, playing high and deep down the line, giving him time to recover and making Roger hit his backhand from a high ball, or take a high risk and play the ball on the rise, tough to do on clay.

Federer proved to be very afraid of the Nadal forehand. Nearly every time Nadal hit the backhand down the line and slightly more to the middle, Federer would run around it and hit back down the line. It was disturbing to see Federer stay away from one of his greatest weapons, the inside-out forehand. The fear of Nadal’s spin must be overwhelming for Roger.

OK so that’s how I saw the patterns. Some simple concepts…Nadal wins his forehand to backhand diagonal, the backhand to backhand rally down the line, and the nearly non-existent forehand to forehand down the line. Federer wins his forehand to backhand diagonal. Nadal leads 3-1 in baseline rallies. ADVANTAGE NADAL

Roger dominates the net, wins serve and volleys and generally goes above 50% when playing offensively. Federer chooses to stay back, rarely serve and volley, and returns defensively. ADVANTAGE NADAL

Nadal changes to Federer backhand, better than Federer changes on nearly every shot and plays nearly every defensive shot to Federer’s weaker wing. ADVANTAGE NADAL

Federer hits his kick serves down the T on the ad side to Nadal’s backhand but Nadal gets around it and uses his forehand to start the rally. Nadal serves a slice serve down the T to Federer’s backhand and Federer cannot get around it, and must start the point using his backhand. ADVANTAGE NADAL

That is the story for the last 3 sets. But I’d like to deal with what I think happened, and I’m sure there is more to the story but….
    Fed came out playing lots of variety, tons of high balls and spins. He had Nadal totally off balance, and played great claycourt tennis for 5 games. Then Fed, feeling confident, resorts back to HIS GAME, and tries the power. He finishes off the set but now Nadal catches his rhythm and Fed never goes back to the variety. Nadal finds the backhand, Federer struggles, and tries to force the power game, ripping backhands crosscourt and ripping forehands all over the place. The backhand breaks down, forcing Federer to rely on his one shot, and because there is so much pressure to hit a winner, Fed makes some mistakes by overhitting, and the match goes into the tank.

A few other notes. I found it fascinating that Federer’s serving in the first set followed a theme. Hit almost everything serve the backhand and make the serve. Hit some serves to the forehand but be sure to miss them. This keeps Nadal honest but always lets Roger start on Nadal’s backhand. So, is it intentional, did he just serve poorly that day to the forehand, or is he that fearful that his serve collapses from the pressure of the Nadal forehand? I wonder. It’s not like he gets hurt by big returns if he misses first serves….hmm.

Lastly, gotta mention that 30-30 point in the 4th. That was the heart of a champion out there and awesome to see.
    For Lukman who asked me to write this, please do not presume that I think I know how Roger can beat Nadal. I only write the things I see in the game. Hope it proves helpful and opens the forum for discussion. At the very least, if a few people add their thoughts, we can learn something.

CC

Is nepotism an individual act?

Adding my own thoughts to my own post. I guess vanity and ego is getting the better of me. This post was my thoughts from Dubai 2006, by request of several tennisplayer members. I believe some of it is still applicable to the French finale.

I think you have made a great assessment of Federer's new tactic against Nadal. That backhand DTL is high and heavy and pretty effective. I believe Nadal will counter it by varying the depth of his forehand crosscourt so Fed cannot get a good read on how high it is going to bounce. Because the spin rates (shown this month in John's article on the Nadal forehand) are so extreme, it seems impossible for Fed to do much more than take it DTL using a loop. Additionally, while it does neutralize the rally momentarily, Nada seems better able to recapture the diagonal than Federer does after that shot.
    I would have recommended he use the old Graf pattern (backhand chip angle, backhand chip line, to set up his forehand) however it appears that Federer simply cannot bring the ball down enough using the slice. The spin is just too big and the arc too high. If Fed can bring that ball down, I'd like to see a short slice DTL and see how Nadal does coming forward to his backhand side and approaching crosscourt to Fed's forehand.
    I am sort of at a loss as to how Roger can avoid that high ball to his bakchand. Agassi said recently that the reason Nadal can beat Roger is that he is the only one that can get the ball up high to Fed's backhand side. I think John's analysis of the Nadal spin rates is more than timely.
    So, I believe all matches between Fed and Nadal are going to be close for a long time.
    Here are some of the tactical changes I expect in the coming years: Fed should win his serve on the deuce side most often, by using a wide slice. This forces Nadal to hit crosscourt to his forehand on most occasions and Fed can control the point from the outset. If Nadal chooses to hit DTL on the return, Fed is going to hit a slice cross and attack. This means he is hitting the slice off Nadal's backhand and not the forehand and won;t ahve to face the high spin. On the ad side, Fed is going to develop a very short angle kick serve in conjunction with a short slice down the T. The T serve should get him a forehand to start the point, and the very short kicker out wide will allow him plenty of room to switch the rally to his forehand diagonal on the first ball.
    Next, on his return game, Fed MUST develop a solid inside-out backhand return on the deuce side. To me, he often hits this ball up the middle and Nadal immediately seizes the control of the diagonal, picking on Fed's backhand. If Roger can create a good inside-out backhand return, that drives Nadal into the doubles alley, it opens up a lot of options (albeit the toughest return in tennis)
    On the ad side, Roger is facing Nadal's wide slice and is forced into the worst possible position to start the point. I believe Fed MUST take more chances on this side. Either chip and charge against the Nadal backhand, step back and wide in his return position and force Nadal to serve down the T, rip a backhand up the middle and attack the net, or simply go for the outright winner using his backhand up the line retrun. By concentrating on developing a good deuce side inside-out return, and getting Nadal behind in his service games, Roger sets himself up to try some of these plays.
    Lastly, I think Fed should serve and volley more on the ad side using the T serve, Nadal likes the inside-out return and Fed can at least make Nadal pass using his backhand.
    Now to Nadal. He is going to develop a great inside-out backhand return on the ad side, one he already hits well and this forces Fed to start that point on his backhand with Nadal in the middle of the baseline. Nadal is simply better at this return than Fed and I think it is a big reason he is getting more breaks.
    If Federer is able to create that DTL backhand loop and put Nadal on the run to a high ball, Nadal is going to figure out how to put more spin on his backhand loop and hit it back DTL. OR he may step back and roll a tight angle, pushing Fed way out beyond the doubles sideline and opening up the backhand side for his next shot.
    Nadal's only real issue is how to win the deuce side point when Roger is serving. He is currently returning that ball down the center but slightly to the backhand side. This is effective as it takes away Fed's angle and forces him to create some great shots (which he does with extraordinary regularity).
    And finally, GO ROGER!

-CC

Comment

serve vs a Federer's backhand an an add side

Originally posted by CraigC View Post
      Adding my own thoughts to my own post. I guess vanity and ego is getting the better of me. This post was my thoughts from Dubai 2006, by request of several tennisplayer members. I believe some of it is still applicable to the French finale.

I think you have made a great assessment of Federer's new tactic against Nadal. That backhand DTL is high and heavy and pretty effective. I believe Nadal will counter it by varying the depth of his forehand crosscourt so Fed cannot get a good read on how high it is going to bounce. Because the spin rates (shown this month in John's article on the Nadal forehand) are so extreme, it seems impossible for Fed to do much more than take it DTL using a loop. Additionally, while it does neutralize the rally momentarily, Nada seems better able to recapture the diagonal than Federer does after that shot.
      I would have recommended he use the old Graf pattern (backhand chip angle, backhand chip line, to set up his forehand) however it appears that Federer simply cannot bring the ball down enough using the slice. The spin is just too big and the arc too high. If Fed can bring that ball down, I'd like to see a short slice DTL and see how Nadal does coming forward to his backhand side and approaching crosscourt to Fed's forehand.
      I am sort of at a loss as to how Roger can avoid that high ball to his bakchand. Agassi said recently that the reason Nadal can beat Roger is that he is the only one that can get the ball up high to Fed's backhand side. I think John's analysis of the Nadal spin rates is more than timely.
      So, I believe all matches between Fed and Nadal are going to be close for a long time.
      Here are some of the tactical changes I expect in the coming years: Fed should win his serve on the deuce side most often, by using a wide slice. This forces Nadal to hit crosscourt to his forehand on most occasions and Fed can control the point from the outset. If Nadal chooses to hit DTL on the return, Fed is going to hit a slice cross and attack. This means he is hitting the slice off Nadal's backhand and not the forehand and won;t ahve to face the high spin. On the ad side, Fed is going to develop a very short angle kick serve in conjunction with a short slice down the T. The T serve should get him a forehand to start the point, and the very short kicker out wide will allow him plenty of room to switch the rally to his forehand diagonal on the first ball.
      Next, on his return game, Fed MUST develop a solid inside-out backhand return on the deuce side. To me, he often hits this ball up the middle and Nadal immediately seizes the control of the diagonal, picking on Fed's backhand. If Roger can create a good inside-out backhand return, that drives Nadal into the doubles alley, it opens up a lot of options (albeit the toughest return in tennis)
      On the ad side, Roger is facing Nadal's wide slice and is forced into the worst possible position to start the point. I believe Fed MUST take more chances on this side. Either chip and charge against the Nadal backhand, step back and wide in his return position and force Nadal to serve down the T, rip a backhand up the middle and attack the net, or simply go for the outright winner using his backhand up the line retrun. By concentrating on developing a good deuce side inside-out return, and getting Nadal behind in his service games, Roger sets himself up to try some of these plays.
      Lastly, I think Fed should serve and volley more on the ad side using the T serve, Nadal likes the inside-out return and Fed can at least make Nadal pass using his backhand.
      Now to Nadal. He is going to develop a great inside-out backhand return on the ad side, one he already hits well and this forces Fed to start that point on his backhand with Nadal in the middle of the baseline. Nadal is simply better at this return than Fed and I think it is a big reason he is getting more breaks.
      If Federer is able to create that DTL backhand loop and put Nadal on the run to a high ball, Nadal is going to figure out how to put more spin on his backhand loop and hit it back DTL. OR he may step back and roll a tight angle, pushing Fed way out beyond the doubles sideline and opening up the backhand side for his next shot.
      Nadal's only real issue is how to win the deuce side point when Roger is serving. He is currently returning that ball down the center but slightly to the backhand side. This is effective as it takes away Fed's angle and forces him to create some great shots (which he does with extraordinary regularity).
      And finally, GO ROGER!

-CC
      CraigC,
      Federer hits sometimes run around forehands when a ball served to his backhand
      on a add side.
      See some second serve in French Open
      see as well some posts
      at the section
      Whassup with Federer?
      Last edited by uspta146749877; 06-06-2008, 06:24 PM.

Comment

CraigC,

It'll be interesting to see what tactics Roger attempts tomorrow.

It appears to me that Nadal has actually improved in the past few years. I think his backhand slice is much better and he is using it more often to buy time when he is in a bad defensive position. It lands consistently deep now giving him time to recover.

If I'm Fed's coach I go with the following game plan: ( many of these tactics you suggested a few years ago)

Serving:

Serve wide in the deuce court with extra slice --vary serve and volley and attacking the first ball with forehand. Serve down the T occasionally to keep Nadal honest.

Serve to the Nadal backhand in the Ad court and prepare again to hit a first ball forehand. Give Nadal the down the line ( inside in) backhand return.

Returning:

Shade way over to the backhand side in both the deuce and ad courts. Force Nadal to serve to the forehand. Nadal does not like to serve wide to the forehand in the deuce court.

In general, on big points , it seems to me that Nadal almost always goes to his slice serve.

Run around a lot of second serve returns, vary this with backhand slice chip and charge. This should keep Nadal off balance and keep the points short.

Groundstrokes--

Accept that this is a losing proposition therefore high risk is required.

Off the backhand side vary crosscourt sharp angle, backhand loop down the line, backhand flat down the line, slice attack, and drop shot.

The point for Federer is to make this a choppy, short point match. Make it a match where the points are decided by the execution of one shot as opposed to the execution of repetitive patterns.

As tennis fans we're lucky to see so many matches between these two great foes and to watch the tactical variations that have developed over 4 years now!

Comment

what time is the maTCH

Comment

Love the feedback

gsheiner--Nice call on tactics for Roger!! I'd also like to see him hit some approaches to Rafa's forehand side but more up the middle rather than give Nadal that running forehand which he can place anywhere. I'm not sure Rafa can hit that inside out forehand angle from right in the middle of the court as well as he can when you put him way over to the deuce side. I believe he will try passing crosscourt and Roger's backhand volley is much better than his forehand volley.
            My real question is similar to yours. Faced with the losing proposition of a groundstroke war, will Roger come in or will his absolute belief in his groundstroking abilities overcome him again.

Stickman--matchtime on NBC is 6am U.S. west coast time.

CC

Comment

My real question is similar to yours. Faced with the losing proposition of a groundstroke war, will Roger come in or will his absolute belief in his groundstroking abilities overcome him again.

Agreed. Can Higueras convince Fed to stick with game plan? Does Fed have any tolerance for embarrassment? He could lose a set 6-0 if Nadal is on. On the other hand he could win 6-0 if he executes brilliantly.

The great attackers would keep coming no matter how many times they got passed.

Fed's inability to stick to plan B ( or in this case plan d or E) might be his fatal flaw.

Should be interesting!

Comment

Now what: how do you apply these plans to Wimbledon?

Craig,
                I love these analyses. But it seems like bottom line is Roger can't handle Rafa's high bouncing forehand to his backhand. And it hasn't gotten any better over the last 4 years. In fact, the cc fh to Rafa's backhand is no longer a clear advantage for Federer as Rafa's backhand has improved markedly. I think Rafa has improved his game more than Roger over the last year and agree with Borg that Rafa is the favorite for Wimbledon. And you have to question whether his results this year have impacted Roger's confidence going into Wimbledon.

One other point on Roger. They keep saying Roger is totally recovered from the mononucleosis in January. But my understanding is that it takes years to build the kind of endurance these guys have and Roger could not have fully recovered the fitness he had before the mono in less than at least 8 months of very hard work. On top of that, he has to rebuild the confidence in that fitness. Any doubt about that reserve of energy increases the player's metaabolism and gets him tired even quicker. Could this have something to do with Roger's inability to stay in the long points with Rafa today? You can't recover from mono in 4 or 5 months. You might be over it, but you still need a long time to rebuild your strength and endurance even if you have rid your body of the virus. If you don't have that confidence, you press. Could this have something to do with Roger missing so many key volleys or not putting them away(2-2, 15/30 2nd on Rafa's srv; 3-4, ad out 2nd on Roger's srv).

Roger's differential was -4 (31 winners/35 u.e.), but Rafa was +39 (46 winners/only 7 u.e.). Roger hit 69% first serves, but served his only 2 aces in the 3rd game of the match. It looked like that might be a weapon at that point, but he never hit another. He was losing over 2/3 of his 2nd serve points and that may have influenced his choices, but he ended up losing 60% of the points he served. Ouch!

All in all, unbelieveable performance for Nadal. How many slams had Roger won at 22. If Nadal keeps getting better, can he challenge Roger's record? Rafa can still improve his 1st serve as he has the last couple of years and there seems to be no indication he is losing his hunger.

You know it is a problem. How do you deal with kids that want to hit Nadal's strokes? I talk about how well he sets up to hit the ball, but that forehand...

Curious to hear a response
                don

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2748 users online. 9 members and 2739 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X