No announcement yet.

your strokes my strokes my new backhand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought this was interesting because i came to the conclusion that turning the racket over was a complete bad idea!

So for the past month iv'e ben hitting with my racket on edge. Or so i thaught .

And thaught i found a new way to keep the racket on edge and still be able to vary the amount of topspin i could hit.

So i decided to vedio tape my self and see what happend.

Well so much for kepping it ondge, i was actually turning the racket over like 3 times as much! Which is fine i guess because it starting to be a really great shot.

I really found it interesting comparing the old backhand with mild rotation to the new backhand with extreme rotation. What do you think?

old backhand

New backhand
    Last edited by stickman; 06-21-2008, 09:42 AM.

Comment

The grip i use on my backhand is more like a strong serving continental.
      than an eastern backhand

Comment

It's hard to tell exactly anything on U Tube because of the issues with no frame by frame, but it appears you have more hand and arm rotation than any pro player I'e ever filmed. Incredible you can do it so well, but not sure how well it will serve you in the long run. Makes it much harder to hit the ball flat and then there is the consistency issue...

Comment

Yes it is kinda extreme. But i dont try to do it on purpose it just kinda happens ?

I was having troble being constant... the first time i hit a one hander was
          1 1/2 years ago and i only play 2 maby 3 months out of the year tops , so i guess it was understandible.

But what ever i am doing is alowing me to hit againsted high level balls. Its nice to keep it on edge but if i miss all day long that whats the point.

Maby it'll work , maby not , there is a consistancy issue but... if playing tennis in terms of hours spent on the court equaled... 5 hours a day 5 days a week , like at an a accadmy... iv'e played less then 6 months of tennis.
          with no coaching or training , just this website, which just so happens to be pretty darn good!!!

So i dont know how to evaluate consistancy.

How good should some one be with my experiance, time spent playing, what would you consider consistant? Where should my technique be at this stage ?

I hit the ball flat all the time , althoe from the clips you would'nt be able to tell.. i drive the ball great, it just has good spin on it as well.
          Last edited by stickman; 06-21-2008, 06:48 PM.

Comment

weather this is relivant or not ? I string my racket at 72 lbs. With lux big banger super spin for mains and wilson syn gut super spin for crosses so missing is kinda hard to do.

I use a 90 square inch racket so it's really playing at like 80 lbs plus.

When i was stringing my rackets at 46 48 i ha to turn it over just to control the pace you get. When the racket is so loose.
            Last edited by stickman; 06-22-2008, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Very hard to give any answers to the above questions without seeing you play, or at least knowing something about your tournament results. You definitely have some ability to strike the ball, but that compared to competition is two worlds.

Comment

Impressive

I thought that was some pretty dern impressive stuff. And you've just started playing and only play a few months out of the year?? You need to find a way to play more. I'd love to hear how you do in competition. Your impression of Nadal's lefty forehand was amazing. I'd kill myself if I even *tried* that. Also pretty impressive how you handle very high balls with your topspin one hander. You seem to have a natural feel for where your racket face is. Good luck!

Kevin
                Savannah

Comment

Iv'e never played in tourniments.

Im moving to flordia in a couple of months to give myself an opertunity.

At the club i teach at we hired the former number one player in brasil. in the 18's he played pro for several years, only got a few tour points though.

He beat me 3 and 3 today . But there are points that i win that i dont think it would mater who i was playing . I give up games , but sometimes there just something different with the way i hit the ball.. and win points.

I win games differently than most people. It's almost like they should'nt be on the court with me. Then you look up and i loose 3 and 3.

Comment

I noticed a couple of things in the first clip. I think you would definitely benefit by having more of a weight shift forward while stepping into the ball.
                    You can still get the topspin if you time it well, but it will make your backhand heavier and also leave you in a better position for the next shot.

Comment

weight shift

Absolutily having a solid weight shift onto the ball would do some good.

However what you cant see, is that the ball i am hitting is at sholder hight, some head hight . So there's only so much someone can do from a physical
                      stand point.

If you look at the clip of my footwork , you can kind of get a scence of how i hit the ball.
                      full speed

slow motion

Go to the federer straight arm forehand article of the comparisons, between federer's forehand and phillipuisis's forehand. then go back and look at my backhand.

And tell me what you think about my weight transfer into the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                        Absolutily having a solid weight shift onto the ball would do some good.

However what you cant see, is that the ball i am hitting is at sholder hight, some head hight . So there's only so much someone can do from a physical
                        stand point.

If you look at the clip of my footwork , you can kind of get a scence of how i hit the ball.
                        full speed

slow motion

Go to the federer straight arm forehand article of the comparisons, between federer's forehand and phillipuisis's forehand. then go back and look at my backhand.

And tell me what you think about my weight transfer into the ball.
                        That's good weight transfer on that one.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2394 users online. 10 members and 2384 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X