I think Nadal Will Win Wimbledon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gsheiner View Post
    I agree that the Nadal camp has done a fantastic job.

Can anyone else recall a player who improved his game so noticeably while in the top 2 in the world?

I can only recall Borg who also beefed up his serve and his volleys noticeably.
    Yes <Edberg did,he was primarily a serve and volley player... then came Michael Chang... Edberg's thing was to improve his groundstroke game well enough to stay with Chang from the baseline...that's how he won those hardcourt tournaments...

Comment

Don't ever become normal...

Originally posted by RobertLansdorp View Post
      This is Robert Lansdorp. This weekend John and I were working on a new article for Tennisplayer, and inevitiably ended up discussing what is happening at Wimbledon. John asked if he could post my thoughts, so here they are:

I think Nadal is going to win Wimbledon. I think it depends a little bit on how he starts out. I think if Federer looks across the net, sees Nadal's arms and sees Nadal ripping a couple of balls past him, he is going to think "here we go again." So obviously, yes, I believe they will both be in the final.

Federer will have to play unbelievably well to beat Nadal. Mentally as well as physically playing him is different. Last year was five sets. Nadal is better than last year. He just seems so tough. He looks like he might lose a set and he doesn't lose a set.

He can just start rolling. He's so strong and hits the ball so hard and he doesn't make any errors. He can volley, he has a great slice. He can do anything. He has a great flat backhand.

It's going to be very interesting. Nadal is oozing with confidence. He beat Federer 6-0 in the last set in Paris. That has to give you so much confidence.
      That has to be somewhere in the back of Federer's mind. I don't care what you tell yourself, don't worry about, just play, whatever. You lost to the guy 6-0, that's a bitch.

Now what do you guys think? Am I crazy?
      Hello there!
      I had the exact same feeling prior to the Wimbledon to the point - the only thing that surprised me was that Roger was able to come closer to turning the match around than I personally expected. In fact, in the latter stages of the fifth set, it looked like he was about to get away with it again... (credit to the Suisse).
      Everything you said about Nadal is 100% correct - you have to win point after point against him by yourself. The guy is an animal, in good sense of the word. Incredibly positive, die-hard (or rather never even think about dying) attitude, accompanied by immense physical strength.
      I like the way he is able to flatten out his strokes from the baseline when finishing off the point - other aspects of his technique can be subject for debate - from biomechanical standpoint, but still, they are far more "orthodox" on the closer look than they appear initially.
      This guy has incredible working ethic and desire - that, more than anything else, has set him apart.
      Personnaly, I prefer players like Sampras, McEnroe, LeConte, Sharapova, Ann-Gaƫlle Sidot (such a talent, sadly retired now for several years) - pure geniuses - Sharapova admittedly more of a clean big-hitter type of player (yet perfect technique on groundstrokes, courtesy of mr. Lansdorp).
      Yet, this guy - Nadal - you have to admire and respect.
      Last edited by sejsel; 07-25-2008, 04:14 PM.

Comment

I see Rafa as a great Study in the art of the Forced Error. A lot like Agassi with better wheels and greater margins for error.

After charting all but the last few games in the 08 Wimby final, I was very surprised at how few winners he hit and especially how few he hit from behind the baseline. Now yes I know that you are not expected to hit winners from behind the baseline that often, but everything you read about him cites how he relentlessly pounds winners from everywhere and mostly from deep behind the BL.

So what I'm trying to say is that he does an amazing job of creating an environment of pressure, but at the same time maintaining a big margin for error. It's sort of funny how usually when he paints a line, it is either a very easy shot that he can just pound with tons of confidence or a very tough ball that he is just lucky to keep in the court. I feel that most of the other 97% of the balls, he pounds very aggressively, but to a safer part of the court. Seems this combination works well to create a little bit of an illusion, especially combined with the beatings he often gives a lesser player who gives him too many good looks at the ball.

Comment

Magician

Originally posted by airforce1 View Post
          I see Rafa as a great Study in the art of the Forced Error. A lot like Agassi with better wheels and greater margins for error.

After charting all but the last few games in the 08 Wimby final, I was very surprised at how few winners he hit and especially how few he hit from behind the baseline. Now yes I know that you are not expected to hit winners from behind the baseline that often, but everything you read about him cites how he relentlessly pounds winners from everywhere and mostly from deep behind the BL.

So what I'm trying to say is that he does an amazing job of creating an environment of pressure, but at the same time maintaining a big margin for error. It's sort of funny how usually when he paints a line, it is either a very easy shot that he can just pound with tons of confidence or a very tough ball that he is just lucky to keep in the court. I feel that most of the other 97% of the balls, he pounds very aggressively, but to a safer part of the court. Seems this combination works well to create a little bit of an illusion, especially combined with the beatings he often gives a lesser player who gives him too many good looks at the ball.
          If he creates illusion you may call him Rafa The Magician

Comment

Originally posted by uspta146749877 View Post
            If he creates illusion you may call him Rafa The Magician
            Not a bad idea, as those like Houdini actually did amazing feats behind the curtain, while creating an illusion that they were doing even more.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2339 users online. 5 members and 2334 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X