John, a question about Ed Atkinson's views

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John, a question about Ed Atkinson's views

I thought that Mr. Atkinson's articles were both insightful and humorous. He is a great historian of the game of tennis. His view on the way that the game SHOULD be played is intriguing. However, I found him to be a little harsh on the modern players. He does offer the new guys some respite by saying that it's not their fault, that they were taught improperly by learning two-handed backhands and western forehands.

Unlike Mr. Atkinson, who is far more knowledgeable and versed than I could ever hope to be, I don't think serve-and-volley tennis could be done with much success on the tour, but definitely can and does work at levels below the pro tour. I tend to agree about the western forehands, but is a two-hander a bad idea if you are trying to develop an all-court game? I can see Mr. Atkinson's point that a two-hander would feel uncomfortable taking the non-dominant arm off to volley or slice, but can these skills be learned otherwise? Can a two-hander ever hope to volley or slice as well as a one-hander?

Luk,

Excellent, excellent question. What ever happened about your camera by the way? If you look at the history of the game you see that there has virtually never been a serve and volley player with a two-handed backhand.

My opinion is that one-handers are always going to be more natural with the backhand volley. It's just tough to learn two motions that are so different--and be equally good at both. Mac had the greatest volleys at least in part because they were the most like his compact, continental groundstrokes--that, and he was a genius.

BUT what's your game really? If you are the rare, twitchy serve and volley guy--and it's a matter of personality at heart--yeah you better learn a great backhand slice and go with the one hand. But if you are looking to be an all court player and a balanced, opportunity attacker, then I think you go with the backhand that is the more natural and easily developed for you.

Comment

Thanks for your reply John.

I see your point about how certain strokes are more natural when learned in combination with similar stroking patterns. The point is somehow obvious, but still hard to come to grips with.

I'm not getting my camera until some time in May, after I'm done with the school year. I can't wait to go home, chill out, and purchase the camera. I would be borrowing the filming equipment from Emory, but I've been bogged down with exams, papers, etc. But I will tape myself. I hope my game, especially my backhand, can be analyzed by you. As you correctly pointed out elsewhere on this forum, I am floundering around on the backhand and am in need of your analysis and insight. Nice hearing from you and take care.
      Last edited by lukman41985; 04-26-2005, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8629 users online. 6 members and 8623 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X