Timing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Question

i read the 2 articles with great interest because this is an issue that just came up with a new coach.on the forehand side i do pretty much as you describe(or at least try to!) but on the backhand side(one handed) i like to get farther up the backswing quickly and then pause so that there is less backswing to complete before the foward swing, step and contact. this helps me not be rushed or late. my new coach wants it all to blend more and be more continuous. this is more like you advocate i beleive. however i still am timing the swing to the ball faster or slower the start of the swing to the ball based on its characteristics just starting at a different point futher along than at the unit turn. is this not good?

Where does the unit turn end on the one-handed backhand?

Originally posted by llll View Post
    i read the 2 articles with great interest because this is an issue that just came up with a new coach.on the forehand side i do pretty much as you describe(or at least try to!) but on the backhand side(one handed) i like to get farther up the backswing quickly and then pause so that there is less backswing to complete before the foward swing, step and contact. this helps me not be rushed or late. my new coach wants it all to blend more and be more continuous. this is more like you advocate i beleive. however i still am timing the swing to the ball faster or slower the start of the swing to the ball based on its characteristics just starting at a different point futher along than at the unit turn. is this not good?
    Sorry it took me so long to answer your question, but it's been a busy week. Your question brings up a good point. Where does the unit turn end on the one-handed backhand? For argument's sake, let's just say that the two-hander is using the same position as a lefty forehand. In reality, you see many different positions on the two-hander because you can get away with a lot more with that second hand on the racket through impact. But let's talk about the one-handed backhand.

First, what is the advantage of not completing the backswing (as in the universal cry: get the racket back) as I advocate in those articles. There are actually a couple of advantages (not necessarily in order of importance):
    1. We want the free energy we get from the gravity drop of the racket to add pace to our shot.
    2. We want the disguise that we can utilize from this position. From here, we can go for the drive, the heavy topspin roll, the slice, or even the drop shot that was demonstrated so well today in the Nadal-Murray Toronto match.
    3. (And this is very important to me) We want to connect the head of the racket to the oncoming ball and it's particular characteristics, and we want to do that as early as possible.
    4. (Also important to me) As your racket moves through the initial part of the C forward swing (or J as I like to call it because I want the swing to go forward through to the target a little more until the stroke is really learned well), you feel the position of the racket head and this helps your kinesthetic imagery and enables you to have better control of the racket through the stroke.
    And there are probably a couple of more, but those are the primary ones that I can think of off the top of my head. We may get some additional ones (as well as some arguments why not) in this thread. We'll see.

But that is where I want to start the forward swing. As you become more proficient the pause between the unit turn and the forward swing seems to disappear, but even when it is continuous, there is a point from where the player "pulls the trigger". I don't want that to be from the ready position any more than I want it to be from the racket pointed straight back at the fence (check the video clips for Tomas Enqvist).

Now to the one-handed backhand. First of all, we are not talking about a continental grip with no grip change (we could have been 25 years ago). Some players change to the forehand grip because they are so comfortable hitting their forehands, but I think this is a mistake. There is not enough time to make a separate motion to change the grip so the grip change must be an integral part of the backswing. That means the other hand needs to be involved and the forehand is not (normally) a two-handed shot, even on the backhand. But the backswing on the backhand is usually a two-handed operation. It should involve the left hand (for rightys) taking the racket back in a vertical position as the right hand rotates (naturally) around to your backhand grip (whatever that is for you from modest to extreme). I say keep the racket vertical with the left hand ... oh no, I'm going to get off on a whole other argument and I don't want to do that right now. Let's just say that the left hand needs to pull the racket back to the end of your unit turn as you change the grip. Again, you don't have time for two separate motions if you want to be able to return serve with your backhand and change grips for the shot. Or return a deep agressive shot to your backhand side.

Now we get into another concept, getting inside to hit your shot. To me, every shot should be hit inside out. That is from inside the intended line of your shot. Draw a line from your contact point to the target and then extend it back to the rear fence. You have to pull the racket back inside that line to be able to hit through the shot with power (which Roddick does not do on his two-handed backhand). We also have to consider the shoulder turn on the backhand that leaves the rear (left shoulder for rightys) almost motionless once the backswing is completed. It moves a little on the extreme grip backhands of Henin or Mauresmo. But watch Fed's backhand in some shots he hit in the recent Wimbledon. Perfect example. But I'm straying again. The point is about getting inside. Where do you go with that grip change and unit turn for the one-handed backhand. Imagine a parallelogram with one side through your shoulders and the side parallel to it just at the outside edge of your knuckles of your backhand grip. (And you thought that geometry class was a waste of time. If you haven't had geometry yet, look it up. And get someone to explain it to you.) When you complete your "unit turn/grip change", you want the shaft of your racket to be "inside" that line. That is, the line from the butt of the racket to the head of the racket must be inside the line parallel to the line through your shoulders. If not, you will have to make another move before you are able to start the "C" of your backhand forward to the ball. In the correct position, your grip change is completed and dorsal (top opposite of palmar) part of your wrist is basically straight. That is, if you had a watch on your right hand, you could put a pen through the watch band on that side and it would lay flat against the distal part of your forearm and the back of your hand at completion of the "unit turn/grip change". This means the racket is much further back then it is on your forehand. But it must be here or you will never catch up. The contact point of the one-handed backhand is significantly forward of the contact for the forehand or the two-handed backhand.

From this position, you can still disguise a drive, roll, lob, slice or drop shot and hit with authority. A lot of people do struggle with the backhand and do adopt a greater initial move on the backhand to establish some success on the shot. This may help them initially like the "racket back forehand", but in the long run it limits your potential in terms of versatility, disguise, consistency, accuracy and power.

Now that ought to stir some kind of a comment from someone! I hope that helps. Glad you enjoyed the articles.
    don

Comment

don, as you stated there is a point from where the player "pulls the trigger". I don't want that to be from the ready position any more than I want it to be from the racket pointed straight back at the fence .so some where between the two points is a starting point. for me after the unit turn and grip change my hand travels a path back and up to the point to where the foward swing gravuty drop would begin. i would like to wait closer to this hgher position(not at it so i can buid up some momentum going back a little bit before i start foward) rather than moving continuosly from the unit turn. whats wrong with that?

Comment

Originally posted by llll View Post
        don, as you stated there is a point from where the player "pulls the trigger". I don't want that to be from the ready position any more than I want it to be from the racket pointed straight back at the fence .so some where between the two points is a starting point. for me after the unit turn and grip change my hand travels a path back and up to the point to where the foward swing gravuty drop would begin. i would like to wait closer to this hgher position(not at it so i can buid up some momentum going back a little bit before i start foward) rather than moving continuosly from the unit turn. whats wrong with that?
        Sounds good to me
        don

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2594 users online. 6 members and 2588 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X