Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wimbledon Analysis

Hi John,

Thanks for your incredibly insightful analysis of this match.
    I didn't get to watch it, so was looking around for a recorded version, but I learned much more by reading and watching your videos.

Thanks - really a worthwhile effort.

John,

Your article on the 2008 W finals regarding the “unforced error” factor is right on.

One thing I feel is missing from most comments I have seen on this match, is Nadal’s constant violation of the “continuous play” rule. It is my understanding that at Grand Slam events the rule requires the server to put the ball in play in 20 seconds from the conclusion of the previous point. In ATP tournaments the rule is more liberal; it is 25 seconds.

If this is correct Nadal violated the rule on 32 of 37 serving points in the first set alone. The total additional time he consumed was 6 minutes. This may sound like no big deal, but if you extrapolate this over 5 sets, he used up close to 30 minutes of additional match time.

Two things concern me with this. One, it got dark. Two, while it was suggested by commentators that Roger could simply walk to the chair and ask that the rule be enforced, this is really the job of the umpire.

There has been a lot talk about how Nadal has improved his serve; the question is, can he do it and still play within the rules. I have my doubts. By the way Federer has no problem with the 20 seconds, nor do most players; even Djokovic is pretty good. Why is one player allowed to get away with this constantly? For as great as Nadal is, it has gotten to the point where it is difficult watch his matches.

I would like to see a clock at court side and you lose your first serve if you don’t get it off on time.

Anyway I was wondering if you have heard any other such complaints.

Thanks for the chance to rant.

Dave Howell

Universal Tennis.com

Comment

Dave,
      since no one responded, I just wanted to chime in and agree that those like Nadal who continually abuse the rules and others to gain an edge, should have that edge taken from them with a point penalty.

I love Nadal's play, but his coming on court late and making everyone wait on serves, is gamesmanship we don't need to tolerate. Shame on us for letting it go.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2443 users online. 7 members and 2436 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X