Forehand with Two Hands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forehand with Two Hands

This question is directed to Jeff McCullough the writer of the recent article about hitting a forehand with both hands.

What is the right age to learn this shot? What I mean is as a senior player is it a possbility that my forehand could improves by going to this shot? What hand should one place on the racket where and what grip should one use with both hands? Does this matter that I am a male player?

Yes, you can benefit from the two-handed forehand!

Hey Gimpy Grumpy--

This is Jeff McCullough and thanks for reading my article.

I think that one can utilize a two-handed forehand to their advantage at any age, regardless of gender. If you are amongst the minority of individuals who are unable to hit your forehand as well as you would like I would definetely recommend it. Perhaps you have some physical issues that prevent you from hitting your one-hander satisfactorily! At any rate, to keep it simple, simply place your dominant hand on the bottom in whichever grip you have previously been using for your one-hander, and place your non-dominant hand immediately above it in a neutral, natural easternish grip without either overlapping your hands or seprateing them on the grip. Everything else can stay basically the same and hopefully you will get both a power and control boost. I think that the biggest challenge in going from one hand to two hands is always learning to synchronize the movements of your dominant and non-dominant sides: placing their functioning in harmony with one another. For this reason, at first, hitting any two-handed shot can feel rather strange and uncomfortable. But, if you stick with it you can master it. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to ask. I hope this has been helpful.

Jeff McCullough
    Last edited by uspta2756694861; 09-03-2008, 09:23 PM. Reason: To provide additional information

Comment

Great, great article on the 2HFH!

I've been studying Jeff McCullough's book for years and find the TP.Net article
      an excellent update. Needless to say, I'm a big Marion Bartoli fan.

Thanks.

Joel

Comment

isnt nakamura a lefty?

at the short rally video of nakamura you can see her hitting a ball left to her body and at that stroke she uses her right hand on top of her racket. that means that that haft to be her forehand. Am i wrong? or does she have a one-ofa-kind backhand?

Comment

Nakamura's a Righty

Jeff McCullough here again and...

Thanks for your question and interest in the article. A player's dominance in terms of being right-handed or left-handed is determined by whether they serve right-handed or left-handed. As Nakamura serves right-handed she is a righty. Therefore, any shot hit on the right (dominant) side of her body is a forehand, and any shot hit on the left (non-domimant) side of her body is a backhand irrespective of which hand is on the top or bottom, and whether the shot is hit with one hand or two hands. I hope this clarifies matters for you.
          Last edited by johnyandell; 09-05-2008, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2529 users online. 3 members and 2526 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X