X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum: September 2008 Andy Murray Return Footwork

Andy Murray Return Footwork: Forehand

Andy Murray Return Footwork: Backhand

Andy Murray has gotten closer to his dream of being a top player this month with a string of very impressive wins at the U.S. Open.

Particularly, his 1st and 2nd set dismemberment of Rafa Nadal in the Semi's put the world on notice that there is one more threat to King Fed.

This month we attempt to dissect Andy's very successful return style which some coaches are calling one of the most aggressive backhand returns on tour.

Do you think Andy's return is an aggressive shot?

What specifically, makes it more aggressive than the returns of the other players out there?
    Last edited by johnyandell; 11-24-2008, 11:22 AM.

Last edited by johnyandell; 09-14-2008, 09:32 PM.

Comment

I cannot see your post

Originally posted by EricMatuszewski View Post

Hi,
      I have some problems seeing your post

Comment

Movement forward BEFORE split step

Originally posted by EricMatuszewski View Post

Andy Murray has gotten closer to his dream of being a top player this month with a string of very impressive wins at the U.S. Open.

Particularly, his 1st and 2nd set dismemberment of Rafa Nadal in the Semi's put the world on notice that there is one more threat to King Fed.

This month we attempt to dissect Andy's very successful return style which some coaches are calling one of the most aggressive backhand returns on tour.

Do you think Andy's return is an aggressive shot?

What specifically, makes it more aggressive than the returns of the other players out there?
        Movement forward BEFORE split step
        A very far/deep starting point
        A return looks flat,however a followthorough on a forehand return was high
        Last edited by uspta146749877; 09-17-2008, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Looks easy when you see Murray doing it...

It looks like he's gaining two things: for one, he is still a few feet behind the baseline when returning, so he gets more time to make a big stroke. For another, the running start seems to help in changing directions faster and reacting to different spins.

Comment

An article in Ace

Originally posted by tennisplayer View Post
            Looks easy when you see Murray doing it...

It looks like he's gaining two things: for one, he is still a few feet behind the baseline when returning, so he gets more time to make a big stroke. For another, the running start seems to help in changing directions faster and reacting to different spins.
            Eric,
            please see an article in a September issue of Ace (Barnes & Nobles)
            about the Murray's return of serve
            Written by Andrew Burgess,Head of Player Development
            at the Academia Sanchez-Casal in Barcelona
            One may compare with the Marat"s Safin
            return of serve

julian
            juliantennis@comcast.net
            Last edited by uspta146749877; 09-26-2008, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Looks familiar!!

Eric,

Hi! I just watched the presented Return of Serve Videos of the Murray Forehand and backhand return. It is the exact same movement I taught myself 20 years ago after being trained in the first ever return system shown by then USTA Coach Stan Smith (Wimbledon/US Open Winner). I played with the system back then for 2 weeks before I came up with Murray's exact move forward motion. Since then, I have taught it to quite a few good juniors and adults. Since I was born in Great Britain, maybe it is an "English thing"!!

Also, I brought it up at last week's USPTA World Conference in CA during a Return of Serve seminar, and had pros tell me after that they got quite a bit out of my explanation. Regards...

Comment

uspta names

Originally posted by uspta2069759277 View Post
                Eric,

Hi! I just watched the presented Return of Serve Videos of the Murray Forehand and backhand return. It is the exact same movement I taught myself 20 years ago after being trained in the first ever return system shown by then USTA Coach Stan Smith (Wimbledon/US Open Winner). I played with the system back then for 2 weeks before I came up with Murray's exact move forward motion. Since then, I have taught it to quite a few good juniors and adults. Since I was born in Great Britain, maybe it is an "English thing"!!

Also, I brought it up at last week's USPTA World Conference in CA during a Return of Serve seminar, and had pros tell me after that they got quite a bit out of my explanation. Regards...
                I do NOT want to bust in but is it possible to know your first or last name ?

Comment

Ace

Originally posted by uspta2069759277 View Post
                  Eric,

Did u see an article in the September issue of Ace

Comment

One interesting thing you don't see here. But Andy talks about it in the Two Questions interview in this month's issue.

On many returns he has very compact swings--almost volley like. As he explains the forward motion seems to contribute significantly to his ability to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                      One interesting thing you don't see here. But Andy talks about it in the Two Questions interview in this month's issue.

On many returns he has very compact swings--almost volley like. As he explains the forward motion seems to contribute significantly to his ability to do this.
                      Much like ole Agassi.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2684 users online. 2 members and 2682 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X