No announcement yet.

Donald Young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Having such good hands may have worked against him, by letting him get away with stuff at the lower levels that just won't cut in the top 50 type opponents." Agreed. Why change something that's not broke? Shortsightedness? OK, CAN DONALD MAKE THE CHANGES?

"There is a wide range of possible effectiveness in pro tennis--combining the forehand components in many ways. Just don't see them as the norm here."
    Yes, there are commonalities to the professional forehand, I just don't see them in Donald's forehand.

I had the opportunity to watch Donald practice, twice, at The US Open. He seemed to have more extension (more drive) than the video's show but then again I was using my eye and not slow motion video. Also, his practice partner was not very "professional", throwing his racquet on more than one occasion, sulking and wasting time. This is not the right environment for Donald to be around. Watched Davydenko practice the same day (with a junior!) and that practice was no nonsense. Donald should practice with Davydenko... that would change him for the better.

Comment

IMO the thing that would help DY most is to get with one special coach. The coach would have to be special in that he needs to sit down with DY and parents/coaches and delineate what is to be worked on to change and what needs to be reinforced. He would have to be trustworthy to stay true to the areas that are to be reinforced and be willing to build around them.

A big part of this process is to also make sure these 2 groups of things are compatible in an overall strategy and tactic level. This may seem obvious in theory, but we would be surprised how much this would help us all. There is an element of management by committee that goes on in even the best situations, but in this case it seems to be even more pronounced.

Comment

It seems that Donald has not been managed properly on or off the court. A supplemental coach/advisor would benefit Donald. Btw, Donald was recently training at Bollettieri's with Bo Seal and Jordan Cox but I don't know if he has a specific coach. When I saw him at the Open his mother was on the court with him.

Comment

His mother is the one who normally travels with him.

Personally I find it hard to fault what has gone on with DY's handling, as they have accomplished things that very, very few have ever done and he is still in his teens, as well as physically a late bloomer. I'm also convinced he will go on to have some excellent pro years. Timely decisions do loom though.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2511 users online. 8 members and 2503 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X