• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good reference article

Did u read

julian mielniczuk

juliantennis@comcast.net
    Last edited by uspta146749877; 06-16-2009, 04:31 AM.

Comment

I did. I would add that it seems that the women actively lay the wrist back, while the men seem to get their maximum "lay back" (as well as most of their ulnar deviation) via a sort of "lag" made possible by a loose grip/wrist that makes those things happen as the forward swing is started, leaving the hand and wrist sort of flopping back into a position that can be otherwise painful to acheive. That is, the butt of the racket often ends up actually pointing out to the right, leaving a bunch of "catching up" to have to happen, leading to some serious racket head speed by the time the butt goes through 180 degrees to square up at impact. (I'm not saying that that is where all of the racket head speed comes from).

We recently had a Challenger level event at our club and the sudden action of the wrist was very apparent with many of the participants - often looking like there was no way for them to get a racket squared back up in time for contact. Those guys are incredible athletes.

I would also note that I spent a couple of days at Brian Gordon's operation in Cincinnati a while back, getting hooked up with his magnets and sensors. I have total confidence in his ideas and opinions.

Kevin

Originally posted by uspta146749877 View Post

Comment

Feeble Men

Yeah, mntlblk, call it "mondo" and you won't have to explain so much.

Also, to people looking for examples of men pointing toward the right, there's Roger Federer if anyone has ever heard of him.

A big shoulders turn, yes, but hand remains well out in the slot.

I don't believe any of the speculations about women's strength, "the weaker sex," etc. Weaker, my butt. Try having a speed contest with Lynn Cox in swimming the English channel and see what happens. (It already happened as a matter of fact.)

The trouble is that the feeble male instructors haven't been able to satisfactorily explain to women or anyone else what they can do to achieve maximum racket head speed, and that's especially true IN THIS COUNTRY.

Comment

imo, the racquet tip pointing to the right is more a function of leading with the elbow, rather than a function of wrist/forearm. if a closer look is taken at rafa's takeback, you'll see his forearm is fully supinated already. If the forearm/wrist/ulna causes the racquet tip to point behind the player ( in Rafa's case his right) rafa's racquet should point behind him because of this alignment. However, it does not. It's pointing in front of him because he has led with the elbow.

Leading with the elbow assists in a stretch shorten of the internal rotators, which intuitively generates more racquet head speed than the wimpy wrists/forearms.

Comment

Small Body Parts

jperedo

Thanks for your comment on wimpy forearm and wrist. Especially forearm, judging from some recent comments from the service analysts. "Pronation on a serve is primarily for purposes of position, not propulsion," or something like that.
            And there's a guy on the web if you search for "use of the wrist in the serve" who talks about the complete wrist snap from concave to humped he noticed all the big servers using at the Pen Pal with the motion elongated through great pronation enabling 70 per cent of power in the serve.

Anyway, the little parts have got to transmit more than generate, and if it's true on the serve it's just as true on the forehand-- no?

Comment

yup. i think a lot is emphasized about wrist and forearm because it's the easiest thing to see. it's hard to distinguish upper arm movement on video unless specifically looking for it.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3173 users online. 10 members and 3163 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X