Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

two forehands for ambidextrous children?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jensen ambidext

Originally posted by airforce1 View Post
    Did you ever see Luke Jensen, French Open dubs champ with his very avg playing bro?
    He could serve over 110 with each hand in the early 90's. Right hand was a little faster, 115-121 range I think.
    I had heard of that guy but have never seen him play. Did he serve with both hands in his matches or did he just do it for fun ? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by normand_trempe View Post
      I had heard of that guy but have never seen him play. Did he serve with both hands in his matches or did he just do it for fun ? Thanks
      I saw him do it in world team tennis and pro dubs matches. He was pretty equally comfy with it he said.

Comment

Ambidextrous Advantage Tennis Group

If you are concerned with your child's health and your own, take a look at the this Facebook link. There are lots of postings documenting the health benefits as well as competitive advantages of ambidextrous play.

Ambidextrous Advantage Tennis Group

This site is dedicated to all those with an open mind, who are capable of investigating the accepted way of doing things and seriously considering the possibility of doing it more efficiently. My...

Many studies show that overuse of a body part is the main cause of injuries in tennis. The list of top pros that have either shortened their careers or had to withdraw from tournaments and matches is surprisingly high.

How many young, vulnerable players actually quit the sport due to back, hip, shoulder, elbow, wrist and knee problems? Many of these could also be the cause of future ailments. I question which of the many foolish activities in my childhood resulted in the multiple back surgeries, which have plagued me for almost 50 years. I discovered ambidextrous tennis 10 years ago and wonder if this style of play has allowed me to continue to play regularly today?

Brian Battistone is leading the way on the professional ATP World Tour, using The Natural Advantage Dual Grip racket which allows him to easily switch the racket from one hand to the other. Unfortunately, Brian does not yet have the financial backing to play regularly on the tour. He reached a high ranking of 88 in the world in doubles and is now competing in USTA Open tournaments, while supporting himself as a teaching pro. Fortunately others, who have been influenced by his creativity and courage are beginning to follow his lead.

These few realize the advantages and benefits of ambidextrous play. I challenge you to imagine how much more effective the top players would be, if they were able to hit all their shots from either side. No more need to run around their backhand, to hit an inside out forehand. And most important, much less overuse of all those body parts mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
          That's not going to work in the long term for sure. Two-hands on both sides is an option though. Or pick the best forehand and see which hand she wants to serve with. Read Jeff McCullough's article on two hands in Tour Strokes.
          Not work for SURE? The problem with most perspectives in tennis is that there is probably no other sport where traditional thinking blocks innovative thinking more than in our sport...tennis. JY I think honestly tries to not fall prey to conventional teaching, but without a full abandonment of it and a complete clean slate, perspectives still get jaded by the past.

To be so sure one would have to see good examples of people using two one hand forehands or switching hands and be able to prove it doesn't work. Problem is they can't do that. Players can change grips and adapt so naturally and so fast that you eyes can't even see the change happen. My four year old hits two forehands and he changes the racquet from one hand to the other just because it's natural. To tell him to stop because JY says he can't for sure if he wants to be serious about tennis would be an insane thing to do.

The smart usage of teaching your child two two handed backhands with the swing side hand always on top will teach them the necessary body turn. They can always take a hand off at any phase of their development and it will work. They can also choose to keep a hand on for one side on returns and not on the other if they want.

I will gladly expound on the possibilities and processes if anyone wants to talk about it.

Comment

Well...

Originally posted by carrerakent View Post
            I will gladly expound on the possibilities and processes if anyone wants to talk about it.

Let's hear it.
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by carrerakent View Post
              Not work for SURE? The problem with most perspectives in tennis is that there is probably no other sport where traditional thinking blocks innovative thinking more than in our sport...tennis. JY I think honestly tries to not fall prey to conventional teaching, but without a full abandonment of it and a complete clean slate, perspectives still get jaded by the past.
              I don't think that a clean slate approach works if past experience is not taken into account. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. But I am open to your thoughts about two forehands.

Comment

Great thread

I don't know how this thread resurfaced but it's an interesting subject. Some of the older threads are interesting and it's great to see one or two get brought back to life.

Two forehands...well why not? And why would you have to be ambidextrous? If you encourage children two use their non-dominant side, surely over time they will become proficient at it? There is a well known case of a child in the UK who took up tennis aged six years old and, when coached, mirrored everything her coach standing opposite her demonstrated...she looked at his right side...so mirrored with her left. This went on for a number of years before it finally came to light that she was in fact right-handed in every other walk of life. When asked to switch hands, she found pretty quickly she could play nearly as well right-handed too. A big argument ensued...I won't go on unless anyone is interested to hear the rest of it...

The point is, there could be enormous benefit in playing with two forehands. Can you imagine Federer or Nadal with TWO FOREHANDS? So long as both forehands are equally as strong...or close to it...the advantages would be great.

Anything is possible, isn't it?

The only question marks are: 1) Is it REALLY possible to have two world-class forehands in one player. 2) Being as a player would be shifting hands up and down (from the throat of the racket) the grip rather than simply turning the grip...would there be time?
                Last edited by stotty; 12-07-2012, 03:18 PM.
                Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                  The only question marks are: 1) Is it REALLY possible to have two world-class forehands in one player. 2) Being as a player would be shifting hands up and down (from the throat of the racket) the grip rather than simply turning the grip...would there be time?
                  I think that this would be solved by a handled grip as someone stated earlier.

Comment

Two-handled racket

Yes, I saw the two-handled racket clip on Youtube...weird stuff. I suppose it could be the answer. I cannot imagine what it must be like to play with such a racket. What must the balance of such a racket be like?! It's certainly an inspirational concept.

Who's gonna be the first coach to go it alone and produce a stable of forehand-only players? It will take a brave coach or a daft one...he'd have to be one or the other, that's for sure.

Isn't Nadal supposed to be right-handed but trained left-handed? That's what I heard but I'm not sure if the rumour is fact or fiction.
                    Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9430 users online. 10 members and 9420 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X