Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem w/ Federer Forehand Article Part 1, Page 1

John,
    I think there is a problem with the video over this caption: "Federer's head turns during the start of the forward swing." No?

It's a flash animation actually. Looks fine at our end. What is it doing on your computer?

Comment

Actually, it's fine now. It was stalling before on my computer--looked very strange. But now all is well.

However, I have a question for you. What you are saying is that Federer's head actually moves further to his right as he starts the forward swing? I noticed this before, and thought it strange. I've actually noticed Sampras doing this as well sometimes on his volleys.

Comment

Right. Yeah I see what you mean--just checked a couple of Pete volleys. but he's not turning as far as Federer.

Comment

Federer's sideways head position seems so damn wrong though! I mean, for me, I've tried it and a few things happened. First, because I was turning my head sideways, I had trouble tracking the ball. This was made especially worse on forehands where I'm right eye dominant. So by turning my head sideways, I can barely see out of my good eye! Secondly, because I tried to keep my head still, almost until I finished my follow through, I felt like all of my weight wasn't being transferred into the shot. Thirdly, it just seemed to strain my neck, but this could be due to other factors. But maybe not. Keeping your head sideways while turning your body through would seem to put a lot of torque and stress on your neck. Don't you think? And if so, maybe this is what was atleast partially responsible for Federer's physical breakdown in Melbourne. He was getting his neck worked out down under. But again, this might be for other reasons.

Comment

Well, it's a mystery at this point. I'll have to say that it works for him--I wouldn't evaluate him or his technique based on one (or a few) matches--especially something he's done his whole life,

Comment

Righto, but doesn't it make sense that you'd stress your neck by keeping your neck and head still while your body turns through? Unless Roger has Guga like neck flexibility and a great masseuse!

Comment

Not sure. Doesn't seem like it but it's a valid question. Anyone else have an opinion?

Comment

Head Tilt

I've heard/read there is some relationship with head tilt and neurological wiring. If you look at baseball players you will find that different players hit with different head tilt - you will also see this in tennis players especially when they hit overheads. Players do this differently because of different wiring. It is more complex than that, but this is certainly part of it.

Comment

Federer's head movement on the forehand

Two points. First, a previous message noted that a baseball player drops his head slightly as he starts his forward swing (more or less watching the ball come into his bat); this seems analogous to what Federer and Agassi may be doing with their head tilts and movements (as well as Sampras on the volley).

Second, there was an article last year on TennisOne that compared two types of visual focus techiques, I think it was variable focus and fixed focus. In variable focus, one tracks a ball from before the bounce into the hitting zone; while in fixed focus one is aware of the ball as it bounces but is mainly focused on the edge of the hitting zone. As the ball enters the hitting zone, the player swings to meet it. This appears to account for some of Federer's unusual head movement and sideward fixation on the ball, especially the latter.

Comment

Could be, could be. Interesting hypothesis!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9229 users online. 5 members and 9224 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X