Choking up on forehand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choking up on forehand

Question for John and the forum...what effect, if any, does choking up seem to have on the forehand? Some players like Kafelnikov and Nalbandian choke up quite a bit, while others much lower and almost have their pinkie off. Any patterns or benefits or disadvantages?

Also, do players who use longer length racquets tend to choke up more on the forehand to compensate for the extra length?

choking up has been around a long time

I raised this question last year. The only reply (I think from Airforce1) was that I might be on to something -- a way of customizing one's game. I had noted that Michael Chang choked up on his forehands, even when he switched to a longer handle. Many pros do so today, some of them when serving, too; and it seems to me that a two-handed backhand is an example of choking up. I find myself choking up when receiving very fast serves, and when closing to net closely for short-range exchanges. It reduces the time it takes to get the strings on the ball. It also gives more control, like choking up to hammer a nail in neatly.

Comment

Hbrbaty choked up vs. Safin

Oh, yes! Hrbaty beat Safin in the Hopman Cup final, choking up about an inch and a half on his serves and on his overheads. Of course, the rest of his game had a lot to do with it.

It's working for me -- more pop and much higher consistency serving. Makes me grin. Makes me regret having believed so much of what I've read over many years.

Next, I'll try an old C-10 that I've shortened by an inch.

Comment

Originally posted by ochi View Post
        I raised this question last year. The only reply (I think from Airforce1) was that I might be on to something -- a way of customizing one's game. I had noted that Michael Chang choked up on his forehands, even when he switched to a longer handle. Many pros do so today, some of them when serving, too; and it seems to me that a two-handed backhand is an example of choking up. I find myself choking up when receiving very fast serves, and when closing to net closely for short-range exchanges. It reduces the time it takes to get the strings on the ball. It also gives more control, like choking up to hammer a nail in neatly.
        thanks for the props.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2628 users online. 9 members and 2619 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X