Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can you tell with high-speed video that Federer mis-hit the ball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you tell with high-speed video that Federer mis-hit the ball?

John,
    I like the point you're making about Federer's extreme sideways head position and his comparably high number of mis-hits on the forehand side. Watching his matches, I can hear the mis-hits and see the strange spin that it puts on the ball. However, with high speed video, can you be absolutely sure that Federer has mis-hit a ball? For instance, the video you posted over the caption, "Do his mishits have anything to do with his head position?" Isn't it equally possible that he's rolling the face up and over the ball? I guess not because if we go by the princples of hand and arm rotation, the racquet face just doesn't move that way--it moves left to right. But I'm just wondering how you came to this conclusion. Especially because in that video it looks like the ball hit the middle of the string bed (sweetspot).

If you look close you'll see the ball hits the racket below center--that causes the racket to deflect and tilt forward. It's a phenomenon we see all the time in the high speed footage.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8051 users online. 3 members and 8048 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X