Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye Opener !

Hi John

Just wanted to say so how much I like your website. I've been a subscriber for some time but have only recently spent time delving into the Advanced Tennis section - what an eye opener! Things that I've believed to be true and been told by numerous coaches over the years turn out to 100% wrong on so many occasions.

Over the years I've had many many coaching sessions (in the UK) including sessions with David Felgate(before he became famous with Tim) , Nick Brown (before he beat Goran at Wimbledon), Brad Langevad plus a session with Peter Fleming at a Charity event and I have to say no one has imparted the knowledge that your website has done.

I have one suggestion that I think is often ignored as far as club players are concerned and that is how to practise. I see it all the time whereby players at my club hit up and down the court to warm up, hit a few volleys, have a few serves and then play a set. They get very good at hitting up and down the court but have trouble when the 'cooperation' stops.

I play for about 8 hours a week and every Sunday morning play with 2 friends for around 3 hours, but the hardest thing has been to get them away from just playing sets and into practising specific shots or patterns. We play a few drills but they get bored so we have compromised on playing practise points - 6 points on each serve. Apart from a few pages in Brad Gilberts book I've not seen many pieces written or produced which specifically addresses how club players should practise and what the stages are in developing better play.

If you have any recommendations I would be very grateful.

Kind regards

John

PS: I've not renewed my subscription to the 'other' site - what's the point?

Thanks for the great feedback!

As to your questions, there are some very basic drills you can play in the form of games that are the solution at least in part to your problem.

If you read Allen Fox's articles on Baseline Points in Strategy, he notes that the key in the backcourt is to find a stronger diagonal for the basic exchanges.

To work on this, play crosscourt points, drop and hit to say 4 points wins.
    Both players have to hit in the crosscourt halves. Do it forehand to forehand, backhand to backand, then inside out forehand to backhand etc.

You can play to 4 or 7 or 11.

Another great one is to play to 7 or 11 points in which one player serves all points. For example make the rule that the server must serve and volley on every point, first and second serve.

Now you are practicing patterns in the context of a game which makes it more fun and encourages people to actually work on their games.

Comment

Here you go.

Kiddy,
      If you'd like, I have some drills I can send you. I'm quite certain they'll be what you are looking for. Tell me what level of player you are and give me an email address and I'll send them on.
      CC

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8270 users online. 4 members and 8266 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X