A New Year's Serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active vs. Passive Arm Extension

Brian Gordon indicates passive and I believe him.

But I would like to ask some other authorities as well.

Chris Lewit has a public Q & A session on Sunday nights, but I would have to join Facebook, something I refuse to do.

So I will ask Brent Abel. One can ask him anything at any time.

Comment

• Small Serve: Develop Proper Spin and then Arm Spring

Spin may be the hard part.

Clever spin may be surprisingly physical.

More arm spring may be surprisingly mental.

I suggest visiting the Long Toss website in baseball-- something I do during spring training every year (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w3xwYIx17s).

A live arm full of blood is the goal.

Finally, all distinction between the mental and the physical will melt away.

In my small serve I start with both arms bent in front of me linked through the racket at medium height.

Eschewing downstroke for both ta and ha but embracing up together form may be a good route to go.

One simply commits to circling the arms.

Hence a right-hander can spring his linked arms to the left then spray them on their separate paths.

That leads to a cockeyed brandishment that is not the right angle one would prefer with racket pointed up at TDC of the sky in perfect balance above one's hand.

The tradeoff for early needling though may be good. All one's potential for ESR has at last been preserved.

So what's going to happen next? The arm is going to spring about the bod.

Thinking now of backswing and foreswing together, one can ask, what about the bod rotations? Do they have a new role?

Answer: Yes-- subordinate to the arm but supporting it.
      Last edited by bottle; 03-10-2019, 08:14 AM.

Comment

• Re "Next Gen Continental Grip"

"Arf arf," says Stroke. Unmentioned is the bad blood between Geoffrey Williams and don_budge. Are we who witnessed it suppose to paper it over now? Why? To keep the peace? What kind of a peace is it when everybody involved must behave like a chihuahua? (Should I apologize for the fang-dripping "viciousness" of that metaphor?) A good thing for don_budge that Geoffrey Williams is not around right now since he would quickly expose the bogus peace.

I who have experienced don_budge's adulation and his bad blood, who have seen both his Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, point to don_budge's statement of yesterday that nobody cares about this thread A New Year's Serve. What a lie and if I may say so, all lies are dumb. I will shut down A New Year's Serve (if John Yandell doesn't do it first) when people stop reading it. More people read it all the time, it seems to me, or do the numbers lie like don_budge? If I then were still a subscriber, I would start a new thread called "My Dad" and insist that all subscribers write for it every day or be dropped from the website.

I liked klacr's article on his father very much by the way, just didn't like the comments that followed, believing that each one should have involved a separate negotiation with John Yandell, who at least could have stopped each participant from embarrassing himself.

This is a matter of taste, I suppose. I believe that don_budge has a tin ear when it comes to knowing when anything is enough. (Anything I myself am doing right now is on purpose-- I've got to get my book written somehow.)

Neglected point of interest: Lewit's "one-sided" one hand backhand is steeper and involves earlier arm-straightening than Williams' .

See post number 1785 if you want to know how to conduct a funeral.

Even though I detest the miserable use of the word "class" the way young people who don't know better do now.

It started with Mary Jane's VCR video VIRGINIA WADE'S CLASS.
        Last edited by bottle; 03-10-2019, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• A Last Service Experiment

To meet the exalted expectation of this thread, there must be a 78 per cent chance that this last serve won't work.

A main feature is its arm girdle shifting to the left. This girdle, exactly like one worn by the American matrons of the 1950's whom don_budge would like to restore, will contain a certain degree of elastic flexibility.

Hence the left hand will rise and twist and bend up on ta as ta moves into pre-toss position. Simultaneously, one's ha shall employ 1) linked elbow lift and 2) maintained arm bend and 3) ISR.

Now the bod which coiled a bit to the left shall reverse direction coincident with a short elbow gouge, coil to the right, and longitudinal coil that is integral part of a shot-put toss.

Why employ little Dorothy's rainbow when one can like the itsy-bitsy spider go up a waterspout?

The toss starts from the left. No need for any rainbow to get the ball to the left since it already started from the left.

Thrust from rear foot and torso twist are almost but not quite simultaneous.

The extended ESR enabled by these machinations shall spread itself through circling and lowering and sweeping to the right, and shall be so animated that it has eyes, nose and a mouth which declares, "I am long toss."

John Yandell, I herewith exit the Tennis Player website although I've enjoyed it very much ever since you invited me to participate in this forum near its outset, saying I would have more fun than at TennisOne which was true.

Last edited by johnyandell; 03-11-2019, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• What is happening to this once great thread?

Comment

• Well Bottle left but it get's an occasional spammer...

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                Well Bottle left but it get's an occasional spammer...
                An ironic ending to his cherished thread. It's regrettable in the sense that it was all so avoidable. He completely lost it with the TDS. All he had to do is wait out the four years. Then he could have gloated for four years. His was a losing game. I do believe he lost his mind.
                don_budge
                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3006 users online. 5 members and 3001 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X