Murray beats Federer again-not good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murray beats Federer again-not good

DOHA, Qatar -- Defending champion Andy Murray beat Roger Federer 6-7 (6), 6-2, 6-2 on Friday to reach the final of the Qatar Open, his fourth straight win over the former top-ranked player.

Murray, who improved his career record against Federer to 5-2 in tour matches, will face Andy Roddick in Saturday's final.

"It is good to have beaten him," Murray said. "He is an awesome player, arguably the greatest player of all time. So, I am happy about my performance today. ... The first set was very tight as the tiebreak was bit of a back-and-forth thing for both of us. I lost that and all of a sudden there was a lot of pressure on me."

Since losing to Federer in the U.S. Open final, the fourth-ranked Murray beat the Swiss star at the Madrid Masters in October, the Masters Cup in Shanghai in November and an exhibition tournament in Abu Dhabi last week.

"It is disappointing to lose after the first set when things were going my way," Federer said. "I just couldn't give the knockout punch. But it is not a big thing.

"Andy is a tough player against me. I hope when big matches come, I beat him."

Federer has 13 Grand Slam titles, one short of Pete Sampras' record, heading into the Australian Open later this month.

Federer committed four double faults and had 37 unforced errors, the same number as his winners. On match point, Federer slammed an easy smash into the net.

While Federer failed to break serve, Murray converted four of six break points.

Murray took an injury timeout in the third set for treatment on his lower back, but showed no signs of trouble as he closed out the match.

Earlier on Friday, Roddick reached the final by defeating Gael Monfils 7-6 (1), 3-6, 6-3.

After slumping in the second set, Roddick broke his French opponent twice in the third to secure the win in 2 hours, 22 minutes.

"It was a very tough match," Roddick said. "He moves effortlessly and can win some tough and long points. ... He was using a lot of drop shots today. He mixes his game well."

Watched the match on a live internet feed.

First set, Murray was holding easily, Federer was struggling. Federer was a bit lucky to win the tiebreaker.

First four games of set 2 were on serve, then Federer was broken twice. Poor first-serve %, and spraying errors off both wings.

Looked impatient, was playing to Murray's strengths (esp. backhand), and trying to win by moving him side-to-side, which is among Murray's strengths.

Fed was clueless on Murray's serve. And looked like a man without a plan...or without a plan B, anyway.

While I've been a big Fed fan, I found myself giving up on him against Murray, mainly because it looked like if he couldn't impose his usual game, then he wasn't even considering adapting to the realities of that day.

Once again, he looked lost against an opponent whose strengths include the left side (backhand for rightie, forehand for leftie). He just doesn't attack well to the right side, nor does he look to exploit opponents' weaknesses well.

Comment

For Oliensis

Originally posted by oliensis View Post
      Watched the match on a live internet feed.

First set, Murray was holding easily, Federer was struggling. Federer was a bit lucky to win the tiebreaker.

First four games of set 2 were on serve, then Federer was broken twice. Poor first-serve %, and spraying errors off both wings.

Looked impatient, was playing to Murray's strengths (esp. backhand), and trying to win by moving him side-to-side, which is among Murray's strengths.

Fed was clueless on Murray's serve. And looked like a man without a plan...or without a plan B, anyway.

While I've been a big Fed fan, I found myself giving up on him against Murray, mainly because it looked like if he couldn't impose his usual game, then he wasn't even considering adapting to the realities of that day.

Once again, he looked lost against an opponent whose strengths include the left side (backhand for rightie, forehand for leftie). He just doesn't attack well to the right side, nor does he look to exploit opponents' weaknesses well.
      see as well

post #6
      julian usptapro 27873

Comment

Murray is doing a great job of getting every ball back and holding serve well which puts his opponents in tough situations. He should at least make the semis at the Aussie minus an upset but it will be interesting to see if he can continue to play this defensive style game 3 out of 5 sets major after major. A few weeks ago he commented that he was very tired after a 3 set match with Nadal. I'm definitely looking forward to the matches in Australia.

Guys that play a defensive style have routinely been a bad matchup for Fed.

Comment

Yes, Roger's shot tolerance has become less as he does not hit enough neutral shots... he seems to be forcing things a bit and against player's who run down lots of balls (Nadal, Murray, Simon) without making errors (forced errors)

Comment

Murray at a press conference yesterday

"I am not close to my best tennis," Murray said. "But if I play my best tennis, then I can beat the top players."

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9204 users online. 8 members and 9196 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X