JJ's serve at the Australian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JJ's serve at the Australian

I loved John's analysis. I think she also tends to get the elbow too high in the backswing, or maybe it's too high a little too early, but that may have something to do with her ability to bet into that strong drop position by means of such extreme external rotation of the shoulder.

But looking at her in her matches at the Australian (just a few minutes and no benefit of replay or slow motion), it looks to me like she's already improved her snap and pronation. It's hard to tell from the tv viewpoints if the toss has changed at all. Clearly, she looks stronger with the fitness routine, but the serve also looks a little better. Am I imagining that? Anyone else see that?

don

Looked to me like JJ's toss did have a bit of right-to-left loop in it at the AO, and that she was hitting the ball a bit more to the left than she had been...with a somewhat more deviation of racket angle from forarm, some more shoulder rotation away from the net, and more of a kick-serve motion in general (more topspin component esp. on 2nd serve). This was against Flipkens.

Comment

For oliensis

Originally posted by oliensis View Post
      Looked to me like JJ's toss did have a bit of right-to-left loop in it at the AO, and that she was hitting the ball a bit more to the left than she had been...with a somewhat more deviation of racket angle from forarm, some more shoulder rotation away from the net, and more of a kick-serve motion in general (more topspin component esp. on 2nd serve). This was against Flipkens.
      Please see a separate thread

Comment

I'm sorry but I'm just not seeing it. Maybe she is improving, but I don't see any real positive comparison with Pete. Sure we can always compare and contrast against the gold standard in serve, but this for me is more of a contrast, than a compare.

As to shoulder turn, I don't know what she did in the past, but I find her to be way off from what I see from Pete in the shoulder turn as well as tilt. Virtually no load or coil effect.

One thing I have pointed out several times in the past discussions on racket drop and really apparent from looking at her, is that racket drop without the other fundamental components is wasted. Her drop just lies there, getting there due to flexibility, but does not load to explode like is required. Also the elbow extension starts early to some extent.

I'm very concerned that her upright and open position at contact, with the arm so straight up is a rotator cuff disaster in the making. My understanding is that you would expect to need to form a V angle of some degree in that area to create space for the shoulder to operate safely. (info from ortho surgeon)

almost no body tilt into the court/contact point (went and looked at some other vids and they had better tilt into the court than the first one I was using)

Maybe worst of all for performance, the serve just ends up in a pushing motion due to the forearm, hand and racket, all being in nearly a straight line for nearly the last 20-30 degrees of swing into contact. The wrist has already unloaded Way too early. Notice how straight the whole arm/racket stay in the swing after contact.

Sorry, but I can't see much to like about her serve, except maybe any improvements that could be pointed out compared to her past.
        I always make an effort to be positive, but in this case, I really find little to like.
        Last edited by airforce1; 01-23-2009, 10:48 PM.

Comment

I'll undoubtedly get another close look at IW.

Whatever change may have taken place or not it could obviously go eons further--she's not ever going to fully model Pete--or even Roger--that's for sure but some large increment of movement in that direction would be interesting. Hey easier said than done when the computer says you are #1...

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
            I'll undoubtedly get another close look at IW.

Whatever change may have taken place or not it could obviously go eons further--she's not ever going to fully model Pete--or even Roger--that's for sure but some large increment of movement in that direction would be interesting. Hey easier said than done when the computer says you are #1...
            that is so true,
            It is so tough to adjust and make changes when you are winning and at the top of the heap in some ways. What should work for her is to understand that she still has to improve greatly if she hopes to win 1 or more Grand Slams to avoid being a #1 who never won a slam other than in mixed.
            Thats not to disparage her rise to #1, as IMO she has been a massive overachiever and reached this ranking on effort and being resourceful. I'll take that any day. It should also be inspiring to her that she has risen so high, but with so much room to improve and get better in ways.
            Last edited by airforce1; 01-24-2009, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 1843 users online. 5 members and 1838 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X