Arm tension on volleys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arm tension on volleys

Recently I attended a clinic where Wayne Bryan spoke. Part of his presentation included him giving instruction to college player. One aspect he wanted her to change was her tension on her forehand volley. He said that she was too tense. I know on the forehand groundstroke on a scale of 1 to 5 a 2 is the recommended tension. What about a volley? I have been under impression for a long time that a very firm grip was recommended which would cause substantial tension in the arm. Should I be thinking a 2 also when volleying? I know that the tension will very depending on the volley, but for for a crisp poach volley or for the first deep volley off a serve how tense should I feel my arm. Wayne's were cracking.

Ralph

Your question

Originally posted by ralph View Post
    Recently I attended a clinic where Wayne Bryan spoke. Part of his presentation included him giving instruction to college player. One aspect he wanted her to change was her tension on her forehand volley. He said that she was too tense. I know on the forehand groundstroke on a scale of 1 to 5 a 2 is the recommended tension. What about a volley? I have been under impression for a long time that a very firm grip was recommended which would cause substantial tension in the arm. Should I be thinking a 2 also when volleying? I know that the tension will very depending on the volley, but for for a crisp poach volley or for the first deep volley off a serve how tense should I feel my arm. Wayne's were cracking.

Ralph
    It would be good to bring this question to the John's attention somehow

Comment

ralph,could you clarify,please?

Originally posted by ralph View Post

Ralph
      Ralph,
      I got a bit lost in reading your post.
      Your question is interesting.
      The phrase" Wayne's were cracking." is not very clear.
      Could you expand/eleborate?
      I assume that you meant that Wayne was funny/entertaining.
      julian usptapro 27873
      Last edited by uspta146749877; 02-02-2009, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Your question about a firmness of grip

An answer to your original question may depend on a kind of volley.
        For a list of volleys please see

To some extent one may provide an answer for three subcases:
        a) before a contact
        b) at a contact
        c) after a contact

To some extent an answer about firmness of a grip depends how powerful
        was a ball provided by opponent.Stiffness of a racket is important to some extent.
        Last edited by uspta146749877; 02-02-2009, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2642 users online. 8 members and 2634 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X