Interactive Forum: Jelena Dokic 4 Forehands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum: Jelena Dokic 4 Forehands

This month we take a look at variations of the forehand as played by Jelena Dokic.

These forehands were captured on high speed film nearly 5 years ago and show a good variety of ball heights and footwork patterns from which to make observations from.

How would you rate Jelena's technique on the forehand by todays standards?

How would you describe her technique on the forehand?

Can it be described as fitting to a particular style?

Is this an "outdated" technique, or is her variation as modern as any pro level forehand at the top of the game today?

Jelena Dokic: Four Forehands Front

Jelena Dokic: Four Forehands Side

Last edited by EricMatuszewski; 02-27-2009, 03:37 AM.

QuickTime Versions

Jelena Dokic: Four Forehands Front

Jelena Dokic: Four Forehands Side

Last edited by johnyandell; 02-22-2009, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I had no idea that Jelena hit that extreme wiper forehand. That seems pretty unusual in the women's or does anyone else think differently?

I read in John's newsletter that some big time commentator was condeming her. More details please!

Comment

She seems to extend through way out before she does that windshield motion fully. Seems more like that than most of the players on Tennisplayer, even men.

But on the higher ones (the short ball from the side) she seems to have no wiper at all.

Comment

Turning but not coiling

She's executing a couple of different finishes with varying amounts of extension and rotation...just like all the modern players.

Some of the men use the spring in the legs and the coil of the hips against the torso to a greater extent than what we see with her. She seems to generate her power from more of a gradual turn and from getting her racquet pretty far behind her to create distance for the pull to contact. I think it's a nice looking forehand.

Comment

Her upper arm is in an externally rotated position throughout the whole take back. So, less use of a stretch shorten cycle for the internal rotators making it more difficult to windshield wipe.

Comment

Internal vs External

Originally posted by jperedo View Post
              Her upper arm is in an externally rotated position throughout the whole take back. So, less use of a stretch shorten cycle for the internal rotators making it more difficult to windshield wipe.
              If you externally rotate, you stretch the internal rotators. At the end of external rotation the internal rotators would be so stretched that they can't exert a lot of force. She never goes past vertical with the racket face so she is within the range of what you see good forehands. And as she completes the backswing the face is somewhat closed which puts those internal rotators back into a position where they have a little more force.

She is certainly a big hitter of the ball, but it looks here like she could get a lot more on the ball if she rotated through the ball as opposed to back. It's as if the axle she is rotating around is through her right shoulder instead of her left ear. Personally, I don't like the extreme backswing pointing into the ad corner of the court, but she doesn't let her hand get much behind her body (see John's articles on modern forehand and Frausto's article in December). Still, it's too far for me. She's putting a lot of strain on the shoulder and arm and almost pulling the racket through the ball.

Another thing that is interesting is the way she seems to straighten the arm and then go back to bent before she reaches contact point.

I really like the way she plays when I'm watching her in full speed, but seeing it in slo-mo, I wonder if it will hold up or if she will.
              don

Comment

Compare to Hantuchova tonight

Compare the stroke to the effortless power Hantuchova gets by hitting the ball a little more in front than Jelena. Not as heavy a ball, but very easy power.

Comment

Originally posted by uspta990770809 View Post
                  If you externally rotate, you stretch the internal rotators. At the end of external rotation the internal rotators would be so stretched that they can't exert a lot of force. She never goes past vertical with the racket face so she is within the range of what you see good forehands. And as she completes the backswing the face is somewhat closed which puts those internal rotators back into a position where they have a little more force.
                  I don't think it's the extent of the stretch that matters, rather the its the length of time.
                  If the stretch is too long you lose the elastic energy available for internal rotation, which ends up happening in this forehand. I think it explains the pained look in her face everytime she hits, since she has to muscle the windshield wiper.
                  Last edited by johnyandell; 03-24-2009, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2953 users online. 6 members and 2947 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X