Interactive Forum: "Hands Together" by David Stanisic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum: "Hands Together" by David Stanisic

I like this and find it useful but wanted a little more about independence of the linked hands from the body. If you simultaneously lean and pivot for the ball, crabbing your way through life with your racket closed or closing out front, you may have earned some fun for yourself (a dirty word in Puritan/Spartan America but maybe okay in Pioneer America).

Linked hands remained solid with body for the initial pivot but now get to take a little holiday as they start the loop. How does Roger Federer get away with this? Because he'll complete the body turn by pointing well across his body at the right fence with his left hand. Lesser players (or maybe just not too well-informed in this case) have to keep hands solid with body for much longer to attain a turn that is similar if never as great. Also, they don't qualify for Roger's desirable delay.

In all the instruction I've heard on this point, I've only had the sense of experts adding turn on to what people already do. But can't you strip down your forehand by one notch by not trying to turn too much in the micro-seconds when linked hands are moving free?

May seem like just words here but is a big difference out on the court.

Dialed In

In response to your question/comment, yes you can that is correct.
    The good old American Way (If a little is good, a lot must be better),
    once again fails to succeed. If you happen to pick up the product I invented
    Monster Memory, use it for a few weeks and let me know what you think,
    I would be interested in hearing your feedback. Nevertheless, I appreciate
    your comments and also your colorful way with words.

David

Comment

hands together

I liked your article and agree with the idea of keeping the hands somewhat together to at least complete the turn. Too many try and play this game with a wide open stance and never make much of an effort to turn at all - big mistake. In my opinion when the non-racquet hand comes off the racquet the shoulders stop turning - there are exceptions but basically if one watches players you'll see this.

Although I'm not sure a "device" is necessary to keep the hands together, it just might work. I've tried several things such as a modified bunji cord, large elastic band, etc. and had limited success. One thing I have noticed when keeping the hands together is that players have a tendency to bend more at the waist which is something I don't want - maybe its a balance thing, don't know.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3636 users online. 4 members and 3632 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X