Re: "The Myth of the Tennis Tip" Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "The Myth of the Tennis Tip" Article

While the greats like Sampras, Agassi, and McEnroe can't tell you now anything technical about their strokes, I'm sure they could when they were just learning the game. For example, I changed my forehand grip a few months ago and at first, I had to visually check my grip after every few forehands -- to make sure it was still the "new" grip. After a while, I didn't have to look anymore -- but would just do a mental check to make sure it felt right. Now (about 6 months later) I never even think about it -- I just grab the racket and it's automatically the "new" grip -- and if you asked me how I know I have the right grip on the racket, I couldn't tell you -- I just do it. I think this is the case with the pros -- things become "natural" to them because they have done it for so long and don't have to think about it anymore -- and they forget the process they went through to get the great strokes in the first place -- whether they learned through "feel" or "visualization", etc.

Yep that is kind of the point. Sampras for example was trained by Robert Lansdorp and learned to hold his finish etc. But what I believe is that those words translated into feelings and/or pictures inside his brain similar to the way you describe your feel on the grip.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3209 users online. 2 members and 3207 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X