• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brad Gilbert on return of a second weak serve

Click

Click Part 5

return of weak second serve

I've always respected Brad Gilbert approach to the game.

However, instead of winning ugly, I'd like to know his approach when a player has lost ugly - what type of advice you you give, especially to younger/inexperienced players. This is a big problem in High School tenn when player size can be a big factor and its not unusual for one to be much larger in height and weight.

My advice, as a coach, has been to just play points and forget about the score. These kids don't have, in most cases, another game plan to rely on so they have a tendency to quit (in their minds anyway) unless they can have more attainable goals like winning a point here and there. I'm talking about when they have played their best, or close to it anyway, and are just plain mis-matched.

What are some other thoughts on this?

Comment

High school coaching

Originally posted by nokomis View Post

However, instead of winning ugly, I'd like to know his approach when a player has lost ugly - what type of advice you you give, especially to younger/inexperienced players. This is a big problem in High School tenn when player size can be a big factor and its not unusual for one to be much larger in height and weight.

My advice, as a coach, has been to just play points and forget about the score. These kids don't have, in most cases, another game plan to rely on so they have a tendency to quit (in their minds anyway) unless they can have more attainable goals like winning a point here and there. I'm talking about when they have played their best, or close to it anyway, and are just plain mis-matched.

Hi,
      FYI:
      www.uspta.org has recently introduced a discussion forum
      which has a section related to high school coaching as well.
      I hope it will help.
      regards,
      julian

Comment

Originally posted by nokomis View Post

I think you bring up an excellent point.
        My advice in matches that are even less of a mis-match, is very similar to what you suggest.
        If they can focus on winning some games, then that is a start.
        If they can't win games, then focus on getting to deuce more often.

Look for goals that you can attain, then you can feel some success. I've seen players climb into matches using this approach. Many times players have played very well and come off very happy with their effort using this mindset, even though the score was not pretty. This was a great stepping stone to better play for them.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3630 users online. 4 members and 3626 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X