Myth of the Backscratch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myth of the Backscratch?

First, there was the Myth of the Wrist Snap by Vic Braden, then The Myth of the Toss by John Yandell (among his others), along with myths of The Takeback and of Footwork by Oscar Wegner -- after most of us had been taught the opposite, even paid plenty for it. Frustrating and exasperating is what it is.

Now this! The other day, I'm watching Gilles Simon play and I think I'm seeing the Myth of the Backscratch (now Buttscratch, for kicks). Then I'm watching David Fererr in another match, and he doesn't appear to be backscratching, either, not even close. Then I'm watching Stan Wawrinka and James Blake in Davis Cup, and they're not doing it -- just it seems, a flick back by Blake before going up to strike. Then there was Marcos Chiudenelli in his match against Andy Roddick in Davis Cup, and he's not scratching. And they're all serving big. Not as well as Sampras and Federer, but very well, mostly. Roddick was getting his racquet head way down, though, and serving huge.

So, what goes? What really are the basics anymore? An instructor actually told me, last week, that the only proper forehand followthrough these days is down across the body. He got irritated when I said two basic followthroughs still are across the body, past the shoulder, and the reverse.

Maybe Bungalow Bill's remark in his "Waves on the Shore" article applies to me watching TV: "The human eye cannot pick up the subtle movements of the body during a fast motion, and is only capable of picking up where and how the motion started and how it finished." But I was watching very closely, over and over again, and I'm convinced I wasn't seeing any backscratches, except for Roddick's.
    Last edited by ochi; 03-07-2009, 11:50 AM. Reason: added three words

There is none. The racket falls by the right side. Pro racket drop position. I've written about that extensively in the Advanced Tennis serve articles. Go read the racket path article in the Sampras serve series. It's the same for all.

Comment

So, it is a myth -- or just a misnomer?

I read your article. Impressive analysis, as usual. Call it what you will, I didn't see the players doing that, either, and they weren't doing the abbreviated motion. Something in between, it appeared to me.

Comment

Fascinating

I think there's a lot to be gained in tennis when someone has the confidence simply to report what he sees or experiences.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3571 users online. 3 members and 3568 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X