Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I improve my Cross Court Forehand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I improve my Cross Court Forehand?

I'm looking to improve my crosscourt forehand...
    How do I get the high loop and really pull the ball away from my opponent?
    What is the best stance to use? Open? Neutral
    Doe's grip make a big difference? Is the 4/3.5 grip a good one, or what is better?

Alternate location for your question suggested

Originally posted by dcr540 View Post
    I'm looking to improve my crosscourt forehand...
    How do I get the high loop and really pull the ball away from my opponent?
    What is the best stance to use? Open? Neutral
    Doe's grip make a big difference? Is the 4/3.5 grip a good one, or what is better?
    You may consider putting this question in the section
    entitled
    Sticky: Have a Question for Me?
    to be answered by John Yandell

Comment

Sounds like a simple question right? But the answer isn't.

The problem is your crosscourt forehand is not different than your regular forehand--it's just the most basic variation.

As for the grip, that depends on level and style. Where you play and how difficult the balls are--can you take it early or do you play back??--but nothing inherent in the grip you describe keeps you from hitting crosscourt.

So if your preparation is late or incomplete, or you don't set up behind the ball, or you don't get the racket to the bottom of the backswing and set up the hitting arm position, or you start the preparation motion or the forward swing late, or your forward swing is abbreviated--well then you can't hit crosscourt...

Another assumption you make: how do you get the high loop? Not sure what the high loop is or that you want it. That in of itself could be creating timing problems. The best forehands in the game at all levels have compact backswings.

So my advice if you really want specific help is to send in some video of the stroke when you try to hit crosscourt, details are outlined in Your Strokes.

I'd also read (listen to) the new series on the forehand in the Advanced Tennis section. I'd read Bob Hansen's forehand article in footwork, and Kerry Mitchell's article on open stance in classic lessons.

All the elements you need are outlined in these pieces.
      Last edited by johnyandell; 05-05-2009, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8085 users online. 3 members and 8082 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X