Nadal vs Soderling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nadal vs Soderling

I didn't see the match yet, but have it on the way in the mail for me to chart, but from what I've heard,
    it plays right into a theory I have about hitting major topspin.

Hitting major TS against a hard hit ball taken flat or on the rise is very tough to do precisely. If Sod was hitting consistently as hard and flat as I'm hearing, it probably led to more UEs on Nadal trying to hit his usual clay court heavy TS, and undermined his confidence as well.
    Nadal needed to take more of these balls and hit them with less TS, more like he would do at the US open or other hard ct events.
    He has these skills as we have seen.

He could have been closer to the baseline and stole time from Sod, which would have hurt his ability to create all this power consistently.
    This would have led to opportunities for Rafa to hit his big TS at certain critical moments.

Sounds like Rafa ran around 20' behind the baseline, waiting for these balls to drop alittle, to hit his monster TS shots, which gave sod too much time and position advantage.

Unfortunately, Nadal was some way below his best at Roland Garros. He was also below his best at Madrid. Let's hope he recovers form and fitness soon.

Comment

Originally posted by crosscourt View Post
      Unfortunately, Nadal was some way below his best at Roland Garros. He was also below his best at Madrid. Let's hope he recovers form and fitness soon.
      It was well predicted that his style of play would wear on his body heavily, so no surprise there. The only surprise is that he has held up as long and well as he has thus far, much like Hewitt. I was in a bar in LA with Leyton's uncle and I thought he was going to punch me when wondered aloud how well he would hold up. Funny thing was he was injured within the next 6 months and never was at his former level again. I think Rafa will get back to it though.

All that said, fitness and ready to go, really has no bearing unless it is sickness. Injuries derived from the game are part of the game. If you can't hold up, you just got beat. You don't get judged by just when you are feeling great.

Comment

Whiteboard analysis

Some analysis(not mine) of the match Fed vs Soderling provided in

julian w mielniczuk

juliantennis@comcast.net
        Last edited by uspta146749877; 06-15-2009, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8237 users online. 8 members and 8229 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X