Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Lansdorp- New Issue

John, you have done it again!

I think Robert says what most people cannot or at least won't. Certainly he is right about teaching, it is easy for him because his reputation at this point.
    I do appreciate Robert's honesty and his "attitude", it is a little refreshing in this PC world we live in.
    I think most pros starting out would fail miserably if they took that attitude and approach. However the older you get and the more experienced you are as a coach of highly developed players the easier that attitude is to take.

Certainly I do sometimes, maybe not to the extreme Robert does...LOL
    but I agree with him totally. Especially when it comes to parents.

I also think most pros have never really developed players... in the sense Robert is talking about, it takes time and years to develop that (players and coaches). Certainly with technology it helps with video/film etc. it can speed up the process.

I think to be a coach/teacher like Robert you need to be independent and be able to rent courts or have your own place setup where you do not have to answer to club owners or members.

There is a reason he has been successful and one is that he does not waiver in his commitment on how he develops players.

Alec

Always interesting to hear from one of the Greats of the game.

I'm guessing a big part of his success, is the level of commitment his student/families have. If you are willing to invest the time and money required in this game, you will go a long way if you have some talent and strong desire. This was especially true back in the day where he built his rep.

As he admits, he is not preaching any world beating system or technique. He seems to just have a comprehensive approach to preparation and good common sense overall. He, like Macci and others, gets a ton of credit for players where much of the work was done elsewhere too. He didn't teach Pete that big serve that set him apart, but he gets a lot of credit for how good Pete was. Did he work with other players in the Pro Men's game? I don't know really. Seems most of his work with Pros has been on the ladies side, which is wide open for a gal who will stay committed for 10 yrs. I do think he deserves the credit he gets, as he has earned it thru the years.

Yes, he is clearly a top coach, but is it his playing theory or is market niche that sets him apart? Yes, when Robert speaks, I listen, but I don't recall any special advancements from him, as compared to someone like Dr Fox.

We all make mistakes in coaching?
    Maybe Robert makes fewer mistakes and over time, and that can be huge.
    Last edited by airforce1; 07-15-2009, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Well there is a debate over who did what on Pete's serve... but I'm not gonna touch on that one...

I think it's like 75 players that were in the top 100 that did much of their development work with Robert, about half men half women. I'll get the list when I see him at the hall of fame dinner later this month in socal, but Justin Gimmelstob and Jeff Tarango were two of the guys who he basically shaped from scratch. You could probably say that they both were overachievers based partially on attitude and partially on technique.

Comment

air force, do you have a real name by the way--don't be ashamed.

i think pete was probably the major force in developing his serve--at least i was smart not to change it.

pete fisher had a lot of players but none of them ended up looking like pete on the serve with that high elbow...

Comment

Originally posted by robertlansdorp View Post
          air force, do you have a real name by the way--don't be ashamed.

i think pete was probably the major force in developing his serve--at least i was smart not to change it.

pete fisher had a lot of players but none of them ended up looking like pete on the serve with that high elbow...
          Yes, I have a real name,
          but you know, on this new internet thing they just came out with-
          lots of folks have user names.
          You should check it out when you have time. It has nothing to do with shame, unlike your need to be rude to someone you have never met or talked with.

Clearly you are one of the top coaches out the in the US and maybe the world.
          What do you think it is that you do, that really sets you apart in working with students?
          Is it putting the overall picture together, special techniques, strategy, Knowing what "not" to do, or something altogether different?

thanks for your contribution to this site
          Last edited by airforce1; 07-16-2009, 10:03 AM.

Comment

no non-sense approach

when I was young, I worked with Robert and I hated him and most likely vis-versa.. but as I got older and the longer I teach tennis, I always go back to the stuff he teaches... although Robert puts up a tough exterior, but we found out that he's really a softy deep down.. this guy really loves his work and all of his students,even the more un-ruling ones like me.. he just loves you more if you have a great 1 handed topspin backhand.....

as I get older,I too, am starting to be like Robert,when the parents and kids act up,I just turn on my Robert throw a fit charm and send them home.. as the words of kicking clients home gets out,it's funny how much busier I get.. this no non-sense approach works and my life is much sweeter without the extra bullshit kids and parents to deal with.. I can now can surround myself with good hard working nice kids and people who appreciate what I have to offer.. I think as we all get older the simple 'no-playing the BS game' is so important,I want to spend all my time on making the student better.. leave the other stuff at YOUR home,not with me.. Thanks Robert ...

Kal

Comment

Originally posted by kmoranon View Post
              when I was young, I worked with Robert and I hated him and most likely vis-versa.. but as I got older and the longer I teach tennis, I always go back to the stuff he teaches... although Robert puts up a tough exterior, but we found out that he's really a softy deep down.. this guy really loves his work and all of his students,even the more un-ruling ones like me.. he just loves you more if you have a great 1 handed topspin backhand.....

as I get older,I too, am starting to be like Robert,when the parents and kids act up,I just turn on my Robert throw a fit charm and send them home.. as the words of kicking clients home gets out,it's funny how much busier I get.. this no non-sense approach works and my life is much sweeter without the extra bullshit kids and parents to deal with.. I can now can surround myself with good hard working nice kids and people who appreciate what I have to offer.. I think as we all get older the simple 'no-playing the BS game' is so important,I want to spend all my time on making the student better.. leave the other stuff at YOUR home,not with me.. Thanks Robert ...
              Kal
              Interesting insight into a legendary coach and probably more than we could ever get from him. I get the sense that he really doesn't see any little area as his specialty, but it's more of getting the whole thing together, and maybe even a lot of what NOT to do, like he mentioned about not screwing around with Pete's serve or putting up with problem parents.

thanks for sharing about your training there.
              I'm laughing that I have something in common with Fed now that Robert has insulted us both, so if I can get Mac to holler at me for some line calls I will have had quite a historical tennis experience.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3163 users online. 10 members and 3153 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X