Women's Dubs and yours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's Dubs and yours

Super doubles article on how club doubles can learn from the Women's doubles game. Oddly enough, it seems that even the pro men tend to slowly follow some of the pro ladies trends, all be it, to a far lesser degree.

One area I did find fault with was in the following quote.

"In 2003 and 2004, Paola Suarez and Virginia Ruano Pascal were the #1 team in the world. Their strategy was predicated on hitting balls with lots of topspin and angle. They hit aggressive returns and aggressive groundstrokes, and hit them on the rise with heavy spin. "

I'm willing to bet they didn't combine hitting heavy topspin with taking balls on the rise. I've not found any player with a consistent game that does this. I expect either we disagree on what is heavy TS or what constitutes on the rise, if you are willing to support this statement. Heath Waters used to accept hitting at the top of the bounce as taking it on the rise (don't know if he still does), but I think it is important to separate this out due to technical aspects. I think you can hit good or moderate TS on the rise, but not heavy; and keep a consistent game. This advice is one of the top 3 things I use to help players improve their consistency level.

Anyway, suggesting hitting aggressively with the ball truly on the rise, with major TS, is not a good message for players IMO.

Super article, with many outstanding formations and explanations! Excellent vids to support the tactics as well.
    Last edited by airforce1; 07-15-2009, 06:10 AM.

airforce - you are absolutely correct. What I should have said was they hit some balls on the rise and OTHERS with heavy spin. I am sorry that what was said was misleading. Hope this helps

Comment

And thank you for the clarification.

I did guess that was just a wording thing, given the outstanding content of your article, but wanted to be sure it since it is a pretty important aspect of consistent play.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3203 users online. 12 members and 3191 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X